• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

carb issues?? Maybe something else??

treihesse

Bronco Guru
Drove the truck today amps were 14.2. But everytime I push on the gas it bogs down hard core. Elec fuel pump has fuel to carb. Carb had a little back pressure ( Edelbrock) when I pulled the fuel line. Idle is fine but wont drive. Truck sat for awhile.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Check accelerator pump make sure its squirting. Might want to check for vaccum leaks an check igintion timing.

OP
OP
treihesse

treihesse

Bronco Guru
card

the gas is pumping when i hit the pedal. Where would you put a 75 on TDC. Vacum leaks I have to look. Could my choke be stuck? Floats? Jets clogged? I think I have good spark. it will run and idle but hit the gas and it just loads up.. So truck has been sitting for maybe 1 year

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Could just be bad gas also. After sitting for about a year I'd consider removing the carb pulling the top off and hosing down with carb cleaner real good then blow it all out and replace the gaskets and try it again.
Stock timing is usually around 6 degrees but you should be able to bump it up to 8-12 and get good results. If the idle is fine than I would say your choke is probably fine but once warmed up take a look the choke plate should be straight up and down. Also if memory serves me right the edelbrock choke plate is hooked to the throttle linkage and shouldnt stay closed when the throttle is opened

OP
OP
treihesse

treihesse

Bronco Guru
carb

yeah Im going to replace all the fuel filters, plugs(fouled im sure) oil etc. it there anything i can do on top of that. also plan on clean card out

OP
OP
treihesse

treihesse

Bronco Guru
carb issues

Ok I replaced the acc. pump, cleaned the carb out, new plugs, still idles great but I hit the gas and the engine bogs down.. What else am I missing..

OP
OP
treihesse

treihesse

Bronco Guru
Fuel filter

I have a electric punmp and the PO had 3 fuel filters on it. I took one off all togrther and I have good pressure at the carb.

OP
OP
treihesse

treihesse

Bronco Guru
timing

I have not... Would it idle well if the timing was that far off?? Im at a lose. I have checked for any and all vacum leaks but this thing will flat out not run at all (idles well). what am i doing wrong UUUUGGGGG

OP
OP
treihesse

treihesse

Bronco Guru
fuel filters

I have plenty of fuel to the carb!! Can the duraspark be wired wrong??

gearida

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newburgh, IN
If your accel pump is working and the timing is correct, then check for the transition holes in the venturi. I fought a problem on my Harley that drove me nuts, sounded like the same symptoms. There was a plug I had to remove to get to this air hole. You may have a newer carb. that has a sealed air mixture screw, this may be where you carb is clogged.

OP
OP
treihesse

treihesse

Bronco Guru
carb

Plenty of fuel at idle.How are you checking it while attempting to drive?

I am checking it while I am trying to drive... Venturi was not cleaned.. I hate carb problems.... When I took off the fuel line I had back pressure.. Im 99% sure it is a air fuel mixture problem.

Trey Taylor

I had the same problem this weekend. I bought a 76 on saturday that had been sitting in a garage for 2 years. Anyway it would idle and drive but when you put a load on it , it would die. I removed the carb and cleaned it real good and removed the EGR valve and the plate under the carb problem solved. I think it had a bad vacuum leak. Also make sure the linkage to acc. pump is not loose.

OP
OP
treihesse

treihesse

Bronco Guru
If I must take it off I will :) I should have just done it to begin with. Where do you think the vacum leak is from?? Also does anyone think If I had spark wires mixed up(PO) it would Idle but not have power??

Trey Taylor

I'm not saying you have to take it off but it seemed to help mine. There kinda of useless anyway. Anyone else argee?

Bronco717274

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tremont, Ms.
Had truck I bought a few years ago do what you are discribing,it was running on 4 cylinders.Would idle fine but would die when you rev it up. Took 4 plug wires off while it was running two on each side, made no change at all. Redone the wires on the dist.cap and she ran fine. Might be your problem & might not,worth a shot thou.