• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

High Pinion D44 exhaust with shorty headers

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Anyone running Wildhorses shorty headers with a high pinion 44? I did the exhaust many years ago when I still had the D30. Now that the 44 is in, the slightest amount of suspension compression causes the diff to rub on my exhaust pipe. Looking under there, there isn't a lot of different ways to configure it with the stock clutch linkage in the way. Anyone got a creative solution?

misterkeebler

im having a similar problem, i stretched my wheelbase 8" and clocked my new case up and now my front driveline will go straight through my drivers side collector. im trying to get it done semi low budget(no $450 headers here) so im trying to find some cheap block hugger headers. im running a manual also and i think im going to order up a set of block huggers($150) and see if i can route it between the bellhousing and tranny and Y into single exhaust over my crossmember and keep it above the frame rail. so ill probably order up a set of those headers in like the next week and see how they fit, if you want i can let you know how they fit. let me know what you're thinking, thanks
jonas

68ford

Bronco Guru
can you guys please post pics, im really interested in seeing the clearance. i want to install a high pinion and an worried about clearance as well.

Yellow_66

Loc.
Hollister, CA
I'm using the JBA shorty headers from Wild Horses. I was told you have to have atleast a 5.5 inch suspension lift or it will hit the oil pan. I had a super single exhaust built and to keep it tucked high as possible I think the guy used 2 1/4" tubing on the driver side and across between the bell housing and transmission and then back to 2 1/2". I have a NP 435.

Attachments

• HP Dana 44 and exhaust 001.jpg
    HP Dana 44 and exhaust 001.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 52
  • HP Dana 44 and exhaust 002.jpg
    HP Dana 44 and exhaust 002.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 52
  • HP Dana 44 and exhaust 003.jpg
    HP Dana 44 and exhaust 003.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 66
  • HP Dana 44 and exhaust 004.jpg
    HP Dana 44 and exhaust 004.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 48
  • HP Dana 44 and exhaust 005.jpg
    HP Dana 44 and exhaust 005.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 61

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
What about running dual pipes straight back to behind the T-case, then merging to a single back there? That might be the best way to keep the pipes tucked high enough to avoid the D44.

misterkeebler

that is how mine was run, it might work for justino but my tcase is clocked up real close to the frame rail so i couldnt squeeze the exhaust through

misterkeebler

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
that is how mine was run, it might work for justino but my tcase is clocked up real close to the frame rail so i couldnt squeeze the exhaust through

Next solution... Cut your collector off, trim your headers by an inch or two and re-weld the collector in the new location/angle to clear the Driveshaft.

Better yet. Get a set of cast iron manifolds... They'll probably clear any setup you build, and last far longer before they start to crack. Maybe get them ported or extrude honed if you're worried about getting those last few ponies out of your engine.

It's not like your driving a nascar or a drag racer after all. You won't lose enough performance to notice by doing this.