• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

timing/carb adjustment (1406)

treihesse

Bronco Guru
I have some issues with my truck and I need some help. Ok the truck was sitting for 1.5 years.

Done so far:
1 rebuilt carb with kit/cleaned it
2 new plugs
3 new gas
4 timing was off (dont have a gun) So I loosened the bolt and turned it clockwise 1/8 inch. may need more

The truck will run and idle. but it will not run good.Loads up and bogs when I get on it?? Accel pump is new. what more should I do to get this truck running good.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Whats your idle speed? You may want to check the manifold bolts for proper torque. I time carbed engines a lot without a timing light. Loosen the dist and start the engine then REV it up to about 3000 RPM and hold it there then turn the dist until you find the smoothest running spot. Then tighten it down and take it for a test drive. This usually nets me about 12 degree advance with a single diaphram advance I havent rechecked a dual diaphram unit yet.

The only other things I can think of is either the timing chain is really worn or the cam has a couple of worn lobes.

DuneBuster

Loc.
Canton
Which port are you running distributor vacuum from on your carb?

My PO had it running from the passenger side port and it ran terrible until I switched it to the driver side vac port then, BAM way better performance, both idle, and midrange.

I also bought the calibration kit and we tuned the carb 2 ticks leaner and that also helped the engine run way better. Beforehand it was running way righer at idle and the idle was really bad. Once we fixed the vacuum source it ran better but still was really rich, even thought we tried adjusting he idle mix screws. Fixing the fuel mix by calibrating with new rods and jets finished off the tune up. Now it starts easy, hot, or cold, stays on idle and provides good power all the time.

OP
OP
treihesse

treihesse

Bronco Guru
timing

THe truck is timing at 12 degrees. And it still will not run. I have to advance it all the way to 18 19 degrees to run???

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Set it where ever it runs best at this point. Your balancer outer ring could have slipped and is causing a bad reading. Other thought is still a vacuum leak and needing to turn the timing up to get it to run could be a indicater.
Got a vacuum gauge? need to check how much vacuum your getting at idle and wether or not the gauge is steady.