• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Replacing c bushings.

kaw550

Bronco Guru
I ordered my C bushings today.
I want to start plugging away at it before they arrive.
I have a few basic questions that may end up saving me some time.

When you jacked up the vehicle did you place the jack stands in front or in the middle of the Bronco? In the middle they seemed too far back, in the front they looked like they will get in the way and mine are not tall enough. Do I start stacking 6x6's?

Does everything need to come off the axle? Brake lines, tie rods?

Is there a tech article somewhere? I had been following a thread over the summer but cannot find it now.

73AnneBoleyn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Charlotte, NC
place the jackstands in the front. they won't really get in the way. you're right, though, they probably aren't tall enough. which means you'll need to stack wood. i used 2x12's. and yes, everything needs to come off.

here is a reply i wrote to someone over the summer. it might have been the one you were looking for:

well, as someone who recently finished the task of replacing all of my front end bushings, i can tell you how to do it. there is no tech article about how to do it, but this thread should get you going:
http://www.classicbroncos.com/forums...light=bushings

i pretty much asked every question imaginable during the replacement. took me forever and i made a bunch of mistakes, but i had no wrenching experience so it was all new to me. made the learning curve much longer.

i don't even know how many hours it took me. days and days worth of work, but murphy's law was in full effect when i did the project. hopefully it will go more smoothly for you. i imagine it *should* take about 6 hours to replace all of the bushings, if you know what you're doing and you've done it before.

anyways, read that thread, it will tell you everything you need to know. here is the reader's digest version:
-place jack underneath pumpkin and raise vehicle
-place jackstands under frame
-lower jack (this will take the weight of the vehicle off of the suspension
-lower axle onto jackstands
-disconnect drag link from pitman arm
-disconnect track bar
-disconnect brake line at the frame
-disconnect axle breather line
-disconnect front driveshaft at axle
-disconnect shocks
-remove coil springs
axle should now only be attached to vehicle at the radius arm end
-remove nut from radius arm end at the frame and then pull the axle forward. axle is now free.
-remove bolts on the radius arm caps
now your radius arms and caps are free. pry the old bushings out. they may be sealed in there pretty good. after they are out, sand the inside of the caps and radius arms, removing any gunk/rust inside there.
-put some grease on the new bushings to help them seat better. seat them inside the caps and inside the arms.
-place the caps and arms back on the axle and begin bolting together. tighten bolts in an "X" pattern.
-----this is important: roll the axle backwards and ensure that the radius arms touch the ground at the same time (you are doing this on a level surface, right?). this step may not make sense, but it will when you do it. you are making sure that the radius arms are level, and this will prevent the bronco lean. you don't want to put the whole thing back together just to find out that your rig leans to the right. no bueno. so, roll the axle backwards and make sure that the radius arm ends touch the ground at the same time. if they do not, loosen and re-tighten as you need to to ensure that they do.
-replace bushings on the radius arm ends
-reattach everything in the reverse order

congrats, you're done!

sorry for the long response, but this is pretty much a checklist and step by step directions for how to do it. but read that other thread as well.
have fun and let us know how it turns out!

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
I didnt have to remove my bake lines too. I also left the tires on so I could roll the axle forward to get to the C bushings. I left the tie rods on just disconnected the pitman arm. Also use alot of blaster on the bolts that hold the spring cups on do your self a favor and start soaking them now. Thats just my 2 cents.

73AnneBoleyn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Charlotte, NC
well, you don't *have* to remove everything from the axle to complete the job. but the more you take off, the easier it will be to roll the axle down and see if the radius arms touch the ground at the same time, thus ensuring you don't get the "bronco lean".

sorry the previous link didn't work. if you want to read 8 pages of my frustrations changing the bushings, here ya go. it's fairly entertaining at times, too:
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119002&highlight=bushings+replace