• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Body Mount Removal

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I got the body off the tub. Now how can I break the body mounts loose? Some of them came right apart, but some are rusted together. I tried a BFH, but none of them budged. The ones towards the middle have a "support" underneath them, so you can't get the bottoms to separate. Can I drive them down with a punch? Is there a trick to these darn things?

dmargnut

Loc.
Santa Fe, NM
It won"t be long before you get many responses to this question. Do a search will be the first (or second) response. I used a drill bit the size of the bolt or slightly larger (can't remember the specific size) but I drilled right through the sleeves and they came apart real easy. The hard ones were the ones you described but don't be intimidated. I used a Big Drill too since you don't want the bit to get stuck. Good luck.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Blunt force or a sawzall! I used a sawzall when I replaced mine it is no fun have alot of extra blades on hand.

OP
OP
greatguy57078

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do you happen to know what size drill bit? I have a 1/2 drill but no sawzall.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
If you can get the bolts loose you can use it and a bfh to punch the bottom of the mount out. I used a 5/8" holesaw straight up through the bottom of a few of the mounts after I got tired of the sawzall. It was a lot faster. All you need to do is separate the plate on the bottom of the mount from the tube that encases the bolt.

behemoth

Bronco Guru
I believe I used a 5/8 bit as that was what I had at the time in the 1/2 drill. I also needed a second set of hands and the channel locks to keep it from spinning.

OP
OP
greatguy57078

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am going to try the drill bit method tonight. it is supposed to snow here in the next few days to time to get moving!

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Either sawzall or use an air hammer/chisel. I've used the air chisel to drive the center bushing out and that seems to work well.

OP
OP
greatguy57078

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The 5/8" drill bit works great! it took me less than 1/2 hour to get 5 of them out! Thanks everyone!