• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Junkyard Trip

dkoril

Loc.
Sandpoint, ID
i am going on a junkyard safari in search of saginaw pumps, and close ratio steering boxes. what year and make cars/trucks am i looking for??? and is there anything else i can pick up while i am there?
thanks

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
P/S pump

Look for a sag with the brackets try and save yourself some expense ..I got one from the yard but let part of the brackets ..went back the next week end to get them ...GONE...So I had to buy the WH replacement one 45 to 60 buck or so ouch ...
..I don't under stand what your looking for on the close ratio box ...explain more ...

86caprirs

Loc.
Chestermere, Alberta
Probably means the 76 up steering box. I know the guy who owned my Bronco upgraded to a 77 because it was a 2.5:1 ratio.

I could be wrong though.

OP
OP
dkoril

dkoril

Loc.
Sandpoint, ID
i am looking for the 4x4x2 conversion that i have been reading about on this forum. i believe it was out of a two wheel drive ford pickup? i am also looking for specific makes and models of the cars you guys have pulled the parts from.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
heres some suggestions
tilt steering column from a 78 79 ford pickup
Hydroboost from anything.
rear discs from a Lincoln (77 78).
saginaw pump and brackets from ford pickup or van early to late 70's
electric fan from a taurus wagon.
rear locker center section from a pickup or van (up to an 82)
hood shocks (lift back shocks from a nissan van)
rear gate shocks (i like the honda trunk one for this)
shall I go on?
TOFIC

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
For the pump they are on just about all GM vehicles you can also find them on so of the late 80's Fords usually vans and trucks and you may get a bracket that also works. As for the 4x4x2 conversion fisrt you need the 78/79 F150/big bronco box then any 80's up box found on just about everything from rangers to f250's

TOFIC

Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
tofic. please do go on!!!

OK heres some more
the dual electric fan setup from a 90's crown vicky. not the single one the dual one. great replacement for your engine driven one and will give you some horsepower.
power windows from a late 70's ford XLT pickup, guess what they bolt into?
Deluxe split bench seat from an Isuzu pickup, again a bolt into the Bronco (half the bolt holes line up!!)
Headliner from a chateau 15 passenger van, the smooth one in your interior color, better than the paper one and quieter.
Alloy wheels from a 92-96 Ford pickup, proper fit and look good.
York air compressor from a Volvo wagon, great on board air compressor.
If you want a remote reservoir saginaw pump, Astro vans of certain years have them.
Steering box for conversion, if you cant find one in the pickups, hit the big van aisle. some of the big vans had saginaw pump brackets with on board air mounts.
The entire heater panel and motor setup from a dodge D50 pickup. The one that is a flat mount on the dash and has a four speed fan switch. After some looking at it you can figure out how to fit this in and get 4 speed heater.
Master cylinder from a 73 to 76 Mercury wagon. this is a dual purpose unit that has the capability to do 4 wheel discs later if you want.
6" disc brake assembly off a gold cart or go cart. Makes a great Tcase emergency brake as you can bolt it to the tcase and the rotor to the drive shaft yoke a little work and a real good E brake.

shall I continue??
TOFIC

TOFIC

Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Alright TOFIC...what radio will fit the stock hole ...Besides the one out of my 1086 INTERNATIONAL Tractor ..

GAWD how big is your hammer?? that's a tough one.
I would look at the baby econoline van (60's early 70's) or the baby ranchero (early 60's) bet one would bolt in
Other than that, you got me on that one.
TOFIC

TOFIC

Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
some more if you can find
dual plane, cast iron 2 barrel Ford intake manifold. Found mine in a 70 Mustang Mach 1.
Autolite 4100 carburetor, 4 barrel, of a 58 Mercury 401. This one is rare, as it has the huge bore on it. Guys are crying for this one. Traded mine for 3 2100's freshly redone.
While your at the Crown Vicky get the rubber distributer boot. protects your distributor from accidentally getting wet.
when you get the rear end out of the Lincoln (discs of course) see if it has power windows. If it does, it will have power wing windows, always wanted to do this mod.
Duraspark 3 setup out of the earlier crown vickys. blue grommet on the module of course. easy upgrade. get the whole setup including the wiring.
Once you get the above find a 82 to 84 Ford pickup with Duraspark and rob the distributor. why this one? it has a faster curve on it, made for making torque at low RPM
If you find a 60 to 74 ford pickup with steel 16inch 5 lug wheels dont let them get away, you really can use these. Big vans came with them also
door panel covering I always look at van stuff for something nice. Lots can be fitted but nothing has come my way that I like.
Sliding side windows, finding these will be fun only on Bronco and Blazer.
The big brake pedal from the Lincoln for your hydroboost install. mucho better pedal for the Bronco
Dual cone speaker for the dash, always check the volvo/mercedes aisle for these
And while your at it, if you want a totally awesome horn for your machine, get the horns out of a big mercedes. great sound, lots of volume and everyone turns to look whats coming.
The side fender vent off a stupid duty for your heater mod. gets the heater intake off the hood and onto the side fender. doesnt eat as much water and is way easier to seal and service. Toyota MR2 (mid 80's) have some great air vents that will work too.
Front disks off a 78 79 heavy half ford 4x4, all ford disc upgrade.
Now this one you wont find too often but I have seen it twice, for a really good looking front grill guard get the one off a yota hard body. fits like glove protects the headlights, and hell for stout. rare but worth looking for.
For you roof rack types. The ford wagons have the same rack as the Bronco one except longer a little work with a hacksaw gets you a ford roof rack for your machine.
Ford pickup 78 79 fuel doors. easy to fit onto body and makes yours look like a 77.
that ought to keep you junk yard junkies crawling for a bit
TOFIC

tk1218

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flower Mound
OK, this might be a dumb question, but will my 75 - 235 tires fit on those 92 - 96 ford PU wheels? The wheels look like they might be too wide for my almost new tires that came with the Bronco.

TOFIC

Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
nope perfect fit, the alloys look wider and they are!! by one inch. If your lucky and got the 'optional' alloys they are 2 inches wider but your tires will fit
TOFIC

TOFIC

Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Apparently Canada is where all the 60-70s vehicles ended up :cool:

Ben

i don't know about that but we dont throw them too far away. I was traveling through Saskatchewan one day last summer and found a salvage yard just outside some town in the southern end of the province. Must have been a SECTION on old stuff all over the place and some of it was prime. Think I can find it again?? Still looking.
TOFIC

screamin reel

Loc.
Calgary, Alberta, Ca
Tofic.

That's a great list. Half the fun of my build is finding parts from other vehicles that can be adapted to fit / work on the Bronco.

You've been a wealth of information not only to me but to all the Bronco community.

Can't wait for this damn cold Alberta weather to get the hell outta here.

Thanks again and have a Very Merry Christmas !

Bruce

bfoldy

Contributor
Loc.
Torrance, CA
TOFIC,

You mentioned taking the hood shocks from the Nissan Van; Do these have the appropriate mounting hardware too or do you have to fab them up?