• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gas in the oil.

tml

Loc.
Ontario, Canada
I've got a 170 inline six. What's the leading cause of gas in the oil besides flooding. Possibility of the fuel pump leaking back into the oil pan?? Any imput before a change the oil.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It's a common problem for a bad fuel pump to leak into the pan.

67ster

Bronco Guru
The stock pump can get a hole in the diaphragm and get fuel into the pan . If you have the dual diaphragm, Vac./fuel it can still leak thru the mounting flange and pump arm into the pan . Drain that oil and change the filter ASAP , gas can cause some real problems in the oiling system Iv'e seen the results of a crankcase explosion before so be very careful.

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
I have heard several explanations for gas in the oil, but the only one I know occurs from personal experience is the busted fuel pump diaphragm...that has occurred three or four different times in my automobiles. Change the fuel pump or disconnect it and install an electric pump...then you will never have this problem again. Good luck.

OP
OP
tml

tml

Loc.
Ontario, Canada
I'm a little concerned. I just picked this vehicle up I checked the oil when I purchased it. The oil smelt a little, nothing to concerning. I took it around the block last night and started hearing a knock in the case. Upon returning home parked it and checked the oil. There was very little viscosity and a great deal of gas in it.. I'm F--king mad at myself for not changing the oil before taking her out... I hope I didn't damage the Motor permanetley...:mad: Please someone tell don't worry about it...

Mike Hewett

Check your carb, a float that sticks open will flood an engine with gas; don't ask how I know!

If you heard a knock and the oil had lost its lubricating properties, you may have an issue, I am not going to sugar coat it.

Check that carb though

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I'm a little concerned. I just picked this vehicle up I checked the oil when I purchased it. The oil smelt a little, nothing to concerning. I took it around the block last night and started hearing a knock in the case. Upon returning home parked it and checked the oil. There was very little viscosity and a great deal of gas in it.. I'm F--king mad at myself for not changing the oil before taking her out... I hope I didn't damage the Motor permanetley...:mad: Please someone tell don't worry about it...

Don't get too upset until you've changed the pump and oil. It could be ok.

OP
OP
tml

tml

Loc.
Ontario, Canada
Looking for different answers fella's.... Am I being to nieve to think by changing the oil and adding some lucas, it will eliminate the knock..?? I ran it for not even 5 minutes...

Thanks Viperwolf1. I luv you

76bronc4me

Loc.
RTP
I have had the same issue of a bad diaphram on the fuel pump that came with a crate engine put in to the bronco. First drive down the road I only made it two miles then heard the knocking followed by stalling out. Changed the oil and filter and pump and the engine has been fine for atleast 5000 miles so far. So don't fear the worse yet!