• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

anyone done this ?

daves bronco

Loc.
Bonney lake WA
I am thinking of changing the door hinges to more moderen. so you cant see the hinge, Using soon donor hinge that are liying aroung, As anyone done this, cause I have not seen it and any info would help. I seen tech on modifying the eb ones, but I don't like the way they stick out past the body.
Thanks dave

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
WHY?
Possible but too much work for what is gained in my opinion.
If you through with it go all the way and do this...
http://www.verticalrides.com/

I've seen suicide doors done on the EB but it uses the stock hinge.

Traveler

I am looking for other options too. Some way to get away from fixing the flimsy door posts.

I think I may just end up using a piece of plate as a door post and box it in. Leave the trim to fit the fender.
I like the idea of newer hinges. Have to give the some thought.

It shouldn't be hard except creating a door post and getting the fender supported as needed.
I think the kick panel should be easy to plate and stiffen up enough to support the weight.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I agree with Mad on this. Why bother?

Before you decide to try, do this...

Without making any reference marks, remove the doors and then the hinges. Put all the hinges in a bag or box and then randomly pick a hinge and try to reinstall and reallign the hinges and the doors. Once you realize what a major PITA that is, then try to decide whether you want to go into the great unknown of designing, sourcing/fabricating/modifying a hinge, reinforcing the pillars and the door areas, and then being "good" enough that everything realligns.

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
If you're serious about the idea, skip over to one of the good hot rod forums. Hidden hinges are a very popular mod and they can give you more and better advice than you'll get here.

www.hotrodders.com is my favorite. Lots of friendly old-timers who want to share what they know...

tsmustangs

Loc.
All Over
Ditto on what hal9000 says, anything can be done. A lot of the 30's hot rods remove the external hinges and install hidden ones. It is a lot of work and is it really worth the trade off? External hinges make for easy door removal.

Terry

75 Ranger

Here ya go...
Oh, you meant suicide doors. My apologies.

Attachments

• IMAG0046.jpg
    IMAG0046.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 37

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Damn! That is what I am doing, and I thought it was an "original" idea. My hindges will be hidden though too, so you won't know they're suicide doors until they open up. I was going to hide the hindges anyways, and I figured the doors are rectangle shaped, so why not flip them. Also, the striker posts are cheaper than the door posts.

The pics are of the hidden hinges mounted in the stock position. They are on a friends Bronco street rod project.

Attachments

• Hidden_hinges_01.JPG
    Hidden_hinges_01.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 77
  • Hidden_hinges_02.JPG
    Hidden_hinges_02.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 90
  • BLUE BRONCO ROD.jpg
    BLUE BRONCO ROD.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 95

behemoth

Bronco Guru
Some body has been holding out on the pics ;D. I have been looking at the same thing. The hidden hinge and the one piece glass are things I have been looking at for my truck.

I have been looking at the focus zx3 door hinges, the doors on the focus are large and heavy so the hinges should do the job quite well.

The one piece glass may get in the way of the hinge thought.

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I bought the whole hinge kit awhile back. I think it was a company called Autoloc. All the stuff I bought was like $700, and I never even got the auto window kit yet! I'll have to dig it out and see what was in it, but I think it was the hidden hinge kit, with all the hardware with the door poppers....solenoids,etc.

How's your project coming Bill? Maybe you should reply back on the "LOWERING my Bronco" thread?:cool:

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
WHY?
Possible but too much work for what is gained in my opinion.
If you through with it go all the way and do this...
http://www.verticalrides.com/

I've seen suicide doors done on the EB but it uses the stock hinge.

Ohhhhhhh! Lambo doors, so played out that even Lambos don't have them any more.

Seriously, I think the no hinge look would be cool but alot more work than I would be willing to put in to hide the hinges. Hell, I can't get my doors to line up with the stock hinges!