• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

any early 1990's ford f150 owners in here? or broncos with speed density setups

ricky

Loc.
beaumon,texas 77706
i know this is a early bronco site,etc but i'm betting someone on this site can help me out a lil bit with a problem i am having with my truck..its a 1993 ford f150,302,aod.etc the truck sat for about 4 months,and i am now trying to get it driving again..it ran ok when i first cranked it,but after a few mins it started running really rough, i could give it throttle and ride the brakes to keep it running while in gear..it smelled like it was super fat..this is a speed density system,all factory parts..after it warmed up,and the truck was turned off,it would not fire again,just spin over..and again,you could smell the gas,and after pulling the plugs,could see they were fouled..i replaced the tps,the map sensor,and new plugs..it idles alot better..but still way to fat..i checked the fuel reg,and it showed to be working fine,and also vacum seems to be in good shape as well,so no vacum leaks...i thought about the dist module..but thought it would only cut out the spark if it was going bad..now,if i let it idle and get warm..it will not start after shutting it off..what is causing the injs to put so much fuel in the cylinders?? thanks alot for any info in advance! rick

Last edited:
OP
OP
ricky

ricky

Loc.
beaumon,texas 77706
changed the o2 sensor out and put 5 gals of new gas in it..i pulled the number 5 plug,and its getting wayy to much gas..i checked the fuel pressure with the vacum line off,and it was around 42lbs..i keep thinking its a sensor,but can't figure out what it can be..wonder if it is the ecu?

fordtrucks4ever

Bronco Guru
Loc.
DFW
You need to run codes and see what it throws at you. Or spend all day guessing yourself into bankruptcy

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
I agree that pulling codes is a good place to start. Make sure that the hose from the manifold to the map sensor is tight and is hooked to a stong vacuum source.
Tom

OP
OP
ricky

ricky

Loc.
beaumon,texas 77706
i just remembered that i am running a mechanical water temp gauge on it,so that can't be it..i also replaced that vacum hose going to the map sensor when i changed it out,it was dry rotted..i guess i'll have to check into one of those scanners..whats the best brand?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
When you put in the mechanical temp gauge did you remove the EFI temp sensor or the dash temp sensor?