• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Newbie: Hub disassembled

TorchRedTulsan

I'm still fairly new to working on my Bronco and very new to working on 4x4s so please have patience. I left the grocery store on Saturday and heard "something" fall off my Bronco and hit the parking lot pavement. I looked down and there were the parts to my driver's side hub. I have no idea what's actually broken or how to fix it so any help would be much appreciated.

Additionally, I could hear something grinding the inside of my wheel as I eased it back home (I was only a couple blocks away) and it looks like maybe the tie rod is rubbing against parts of the inside of the wheel. The balancing weights are completely ground off. The passenger side doesn't have this problem. Any ideas on this, or if they're related problems, would be appreciated.

DSC00717.jpg

DSC00718.jpg

DSC00719.jpg

DSC00714.jpg

DSC00715.jpg

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
Someone in Tulsa, OK need to help this guy out take him under you wing and show him the ways. Looks like the nuts are backing off and you are missing a round plate with 6 holes it that is what holds the hub (outer part ) in. You need to go buy a Chiltons Book on Broncos it will have a pic in it. Or someone my post it.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
You definitely have some issues with your hub/bearings/spindle. If there is a fellow Bronco owner near you, the two of you should be able to disassemble it and figure out the problem. There aren't that many pieces in the hub assembly. Without seeing the whole thing dissembled, it will be difficult to figure out what's wrong.

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
Sounds like the outer lock nut has worked itself loose/off and your rotor is flooping around.

I did a Google Image search Dana 44 Hub and found this

You need to tear it on down and inspect all the parts for wear and find/replace anything missing.

oh, and you might as well start with the other side first, then you'll see exactly how it it's supposed to come apart and what all parts should be there. (provided the previous owner didn't jack it all up)

Last edited:
OP
OP
TorchRedTulsan

TorchRedTulsan

Thanks for all the help and info guys. Hopefully I can find a local who's willing to stop by and lend a knowledgeable hand.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Stuff falling off and onto the road. You didn't buy this EB from a young lady in TN did you???;)

Rollin

Loc.
Port Angeles, WA
Well, Id say that the wheel bearings were falling out too which let your hub move and grind away. Once you get the two locking nuts back on with your wheel bearing in place and the locking hub back on you should be good to go.

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI
Well if the nuts are backing off the grinding could be the bearings not riding on the races. I would suggest taking the enitre hub off and inspecting for wear and replacing parts as needed. I may have a few hubs part floating around if you are missing anything. Some of them may not be found at a local parts store.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
Yep looks like you'll need bearings and races at a minimum, just hope your hub and spindle havent been spun, that will get a little more costly.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Since you mention that you are not that familiar with working on your Bronco, it may help to clarify what people are talking about when they say "hub." What you show in your pictures that fell off is the locking hub assembly. The actual hub itself is where your wheel bearings are and is what rides on the spindle. It is also what your brakes (drum or disc) attach to. You have an issue with the hub part that rides on the spindle that needs to be addressed.

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
looks like the wrong back space on the rim?, (the tie rod rubbing on the rim)
If it was loose berings, the back of the rim would be farther away from the rod.

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If it was loose berings, the back of the rim would be farther away from the rod.

chris

No more Rock Crawler

It might rub when he turns and the wheel would turn into the link.

sprinksbeme

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kingman, AZ
Looks a little close as far as the backspacing on the wheel, they sell 1/4" spacers at NAPA Auto for next to nothing to correct that..

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's all 1 unit, the knucke cant "turn into" the rim

Broncoward

Loc.
Rolesville
figures and easy one and I missed it....Replace and repack wheel bearing while your there...They got you straight though!!!

OP
OP
TorchRedTulsan

TorchRedTulsan

So I had a local EB pro stop by today and look at the problem and the wheel rubbing came from 2 bolts being loose on my tie rod. The hub assembly came off because my internal snap ring and outer clutch retaining ring wore out.

I'm getting replacement rings tomorrow and will tighten the bolts and see if that doesn't fix the problem. Thanks for all the great advice and, bronko69er, thanks for the diagrams. I'll be saving them to my computer.