• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Driveshaft CV clearance

6daze

Long story short...4.5" lift, low pinion D44, need to clearance my driveshaft. I have searched but need a little more direction.

See crappy cel phone pic below...do I remove material at the yellow arrow or inside at the red arrow?

Thanks for any help, direction, pics, etc

Attachments

• mail.jpg
    mail.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 52

fordtrucksrule

you can clarence it a lil just to get a few degrees buy you may need to check out tom woods and see what he got

berdeman

Yes I too am interested in doing the same. Anybody done this with decent results?

fordtrucksrule

i had my front driveshaft yoke clearenced But only gained about 3 degrees not a hole lot. you gotta be careful because you dont wanna take too much out because the 1310 cv is a small cv.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
While the driveshaft is still on the T-case, drop the axle end and rotate the driveshaft. Make a note of where it interferes abd that's where you'll need to grind.

gravy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Parsippany
Long story short...4.5" lift, low pinion D44, need to clearance my driveshaft. I have searched but need a little more direction.

See crappy cel phone pic below...do I remove material at the yellow arrow or inside at the red arrow?

Thanks for any help, direction, pics, etc

You will need to remove the inner seal. grind down the seal mounting surface and grind out the inner part of the cv cage so the assembly can collapse further. This is where you will get the clearance from. My front shaft runs with no seal- just need to make sure you grease it each time out. I get 35+ degrees out of it. Dusty at WCB has a driveshaft guy that does it.

gravy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Parsippany
You may need to clearance the yoke on the shaft itself so the lower ears of the cage dont hit this yoke-

OP
OP
6daze

6daze

better pics

OK I set it on the TC yoke, rotated and noted where it hits. In which area do I grind? Both? There is contact in three places; each end and the middle.

How much material do I need to remove here?

Attachments

• cv open.JPG
    cv open.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 22
  • cv hits.jpg
    cv hits.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 12

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
Those marks on the cv look like your bolts might be hitting. Check the lenght of the bolts. If it's not the bolts I'd take some off the cv (green arrow).

gravy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Parsippany
OK I set it on the TC yoke, rotated and noted where it hits. In which area do I grind? Both? There is contact in three places; each end and the middle.

How much material do I need to remove here?

Stick to grinding the cv cage only and not the mounting flange- try to remove the same amounts all around- easier to balance if you care. disassemble everything so that you can gring the inside of the cv cage with a diegrinder. At the same time remove the seal and mounting surface. If not onece you gain more movement the the seal and ball area will break if not properly clearanced.