• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

holley electric choke headache

NJB71

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Little Silver, NJ
So I am still trying to work out the kinks on the new install of my 600cfm 4bbl, it has an electric choke(with a red plastic cam)-holley says that the source of power(12v) should come from an open circuit, they suggest the windshield wiper power source, as it is always on when the key is turned. They stress not to source power off coil....reasons for all of this is my choke is staying open even while the engine is warm, holley told me it is cause the source is 7v not the 12v???I followed the lead wire back to the circuit breaker box?anyone install this holley and have this problem, and mind sharing what the solution is?

craigcrawford1

Just installed a 470 cfm Truck Avenger carb and had to rotate the choke horn a considerable amount to get it right. I'm not a Holley guru but carried it to one and he set it for me.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
On the back of the alternator there is apost marked "S" or "STA"
This is a common point on the stator that makes voltage only while the alternator is spinning. Has no voltage with the key on so the choke won't start opening just because you turn the key on. Engine has to be fired and spinning for this terminal to come alive. It is there just to power electric chokes. When running it is typically just shy of 12V

craigcrawford1

When running my "s" terminal is only 8 volts while my "+" terminal on the coil is 11 volts, again this is with engine running, what's the deal. Any suggestions.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
When running my "s" terminal is only 8 volts while my "+" terminal on the coil is 11 volts, again this is with engine running, what's the deal. Any suggestions.

That sounds right to me. The way a Stator is wound and wired, 8V is what I would expect.

11V at the coil is about right. When the points are closed the resistor draws the voltage down to about 9 and when the points are open there is no load and you see battery voltage. While running the meter is probably averaging the voltages and giving you the 11V.

So it all sounds right to me.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
If you feel the 8v is not working well enough the green-red wire at the voltage regulator is 12v switched.