• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

steering wheel

ddm156

I'm interested in a new wheel, but not sure what to be looking for...what type of pattern or measurement does the bronco wheel mount to? What is a good size wheel for a bronco with stock power steering?...I'm thinkin' maybe a hair smaller than stock size. I'm after a wood wheel, anybody have some experience in this market??

Last edited:

Wyldebill

Loc.
Berthoud, Colorado
I ran a Grant wood wheel for many years when my Bronco was my daily driver. After I got into the off roading and rock crawling I switched it to the same model Grant wheel only padded just to make it easier too hang onto.
The Grant wheel is a good wheel and not as pricey as some, but if you are looking for a quality as well as classy wheel, The Lecarra is a good way to go.

OP
OP
ddm156

ddm156

Is there any specific type of wheel for the bronco or will any wheel at all fit. I'm also looking for some fender flares. I notice that just about everybody goes with war flares, which are likely a very functional flare, and very durable. I question there "showy-ness?" Right now I'm focused on building a very clean-looking Bronco. As far as paintability and solid looks what flares do people recommend?

nrramse

I used a Grant for a long time too, but I always had problems with the adapter kit because it would get loose - maybe this is because I don't have power steering. I got frustrated and went back to an OEM steering wheel, for now.

Newell

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Typical Ford columns have a splined shaft and a single nut.
Aftermarket steering wheels usually start with a standard 3-bolt flange.
Aftermarket adaptors convert the splined shaft to the 3-bolt pattern that is standard amung aftermaket steering wheels.

Some steering wheel manufactureres make there own bolt patterns, 5-bolt is one that I have. There is actually an adaptor to go from the 3-bolt to 5-bolt.

Basicly find an aftermarket wheel you like, then they sell adaptors needed to make it work with your column.