• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

brakes

1970mule

Bronco Guru
i just got the mule up and on the road and now i have a brake problem. as i was driving when i tried to stop i applied the brake and it engaged as normal, but then slow lost power like there were no brakes, then i let off and pumped it and it was back. it has done it a few times but not everytime.

i went in some water and mud today and thats wheni noticed it. but i have done that before. any ideas?:-[

texaswildcat98

Loc.
Wichita, KS
you have drum brakes?

if yes, get front discs... Drums like to fade, mine do and I have all new parts (new drums, wheel cylinders, master, brakes, etc)

Wet drums are notorious for slipping...

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If the pedal was sinking as you were loosing the brakes and the pump brought the pedal back up again, the master cylinder is shot.

What brakes do you have and what size tire are you running. That may be part of the problem as well.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I started having fade issues with my drums right after I went to 33s. Pobably time to look into a front disk conversion.

OP
OP
1970mule

1970mule

Bronco Guru
ok will do on the key spots to check. also when i brake it seems to pull right, maybe that was an indicator also.

and i was just looking into doing that front conversion.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Haha, sounds like it is time to do the conversion, everything is pointing that way. If it is pulling to a side it means they are out of adjustment or a wheel cylinder isnt up to par anymore. That is the issue with drums, they are dependent on being adjusted to work right otherwise they can kill you. I had a dog run out in front of me once, slammed the brakes, Bronco went directly right almost into a ditch, let off and veered directly left almost into oncoming traffic....should have just run the dog over.

OP
OP
1970mule

1970mule

Bronco Guru
yeah, i am thinking that to. time to take out the dog. i mean do the conversion. :)
any good deals out there i should know about.