• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I did a really stupid thing, now what?

tshep911

Loc.
Rome
Years ago when I bough my Bronco I needed to replace the valve cover gasgets on my stock 302, under the advise of a mechanic, I adjusted the rockers using the "engine running method" back screw off until I hear noise, then tighten to quiet. Later I learned that these are not adjustable, yikes.

Now under load, I hear a ticking, not at idle, not coasting, just under load. According to the archives, this could be an exhaust leak, my headders are rusted and need replacing. Or, could I have damaged something?

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
First of all, Define years ago... You adjusted the valves just now or years ago??? And yes they are adjustable on a 302.(WRONG! MY BAD! switch engines!)

Last edited:

cs_88

Bronco Guru
To adjust the valves on my 302 you need to install different length pushrods.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
All mass produced small block Ford 302s (except the Boss 302 of '69 and '70) have non-adjustable valvetrain. Adjust lifter preload with longer/shorter pushrods.

The noise you describe is a lot more of the exhaust leak then a lifter tick. Lifters don't change noise under load or not, just with heat and RPM. Exhaust changes under load as more gases are moving under load then not under load, even at the same RPM.

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
Sorry! I just put my foot in my mouth!! ON a 302, you torque the rocker nuts to 20ft/lbs.. If you just ran them down to stop clacking, then they might have loosened up... just torque them down and see if that helps!

Jonboy69

Also try tightening the header bolts some. They have a tendency to work loose and can cause a tick.

OP
OP
tshep911

tshep911

Loc.
Rome
Years ago was about 8, and changing the engine would be nice but not in the current budget.
since I need a new exhaust system anyway, I am going to change that out and see if that corrects the problem.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
I just added a washer between the fulcrum and nut, to gain a little room to be able to adjust preload. add a 2nd nut to tighten against, and it's done.
but what yer dealin with sounds like an exhaust leak to me.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
>>>>> all 1977 & up 302/5.0's with the stock style pedestal mount rocker systems usually use shims instead of shorter pushrods to reduce lifter preload...... http://www.jegs.com/i/Ford+Racing/397/M-6529-A302/10002/-1

Great if you want to reduce preload. But won't get you anywhere if there isn't enough. Still need longer pushrods.
Last service manual I remember still listed longer and shorter pushrods even for the newer pedistal rockers. But those shims sure are a lot less money then getting new pushrods.