• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

9" Housing Studs

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Referring to the studs that the 3rd member is bolted to. These appear to be a press fit. I have one that has FUBAR threads, can I pound it out and pull a new one in with some washers or spacer and a bolt?

ugly74

Bronco abuser
I'e never had to remove those...but I'd be willing to bet that they're threaded... put some vice grips it 'em and see if it turns out.
If I'm wrong, somebody here is sure to know.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I have replaced them before but it has been a while and I can't recall how. It seems they kinock out. There is a head on the back side.

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There is a head on the back side and what looks like a 1/4" shank coming out of the housing.

Would I be better off just trying to rethread the buggered part?

ugly74

Bronco abuser
There is a head on the back side and what looks like a 1/4" shank coming out of the housing.

Would I be better off just trying to rethread the buggered part?

maaaaybe. how bad are they? I've seen some real crappy threads hold the torque that they're supposed to. when in doubt, replace it. may be a hassle now, but worth it down the road

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The studs are a press fit into the housing: ARP #250-3005

Here's Currie's version: Currie #CE-95031

Depending upon the condition of the housing, you may need to weld and redrill the hole in order to get a good press fit and not have leaking issues in the future.

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Its not that all the threads are pooched, just that the first ones are and I cannot get a nut to start. And I don't have a welder, so I think I'll just clean up what I have...

bax

Contributor
Old Member
They come out pretty easy, and the install is easy too because the nut will pull it into place. Don't be afraid to tap it out and replace it. Piece of cake job.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
They come out pretty easy, and the install is easy too because the nut will pull it into place. Don't be afraid to tap it out and replace it. Piece of cake job.

x2 I have tapped several out and then pulled them back in by tightening the nuts down. I haven't had any leakage problems

ugly74

Bronco abuser
I'e never had to remove those...but I'd be willing to bet that they're threaded... put some vice grips it 'em and see if it turns out.
If I'm wrong, somebody here is sure to know.

man I was waaaay off. %) no more drunken answers from me!:p