• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

bronco dies after long drive

1970mule

Bronco Guru
well, i went for a cruise for about 1 hour and a half or 2 hours. well when i got close to home i came in to a store as i coasted in neutral it just idel real low then turned off. when i tried to restart no go. next as i tried to start it it sounded like the started was grinding like the engine was already on. i thought maybe it was gas so i switched to the reserve and that worked but i had a full tank in back and i think i only went 75miles on the trip. what could this be? i have a 302 2bbl 3 speed manual.

jdcone

Loc.
riverside, ca
Move the fuel lines as far away from the exhaust as possible. Maybe even insulate them. It really doesn't get hot enough in Santa Barbara to cause vapor lock though.

cracker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pueblo, Colorado
When it did this, did you remove the rear gas cap? If not, maybe your cap is not venting properly. Try switching caps or just buy a new one if they are old or damaged. I doubt the vapor lock, unless your rear gas line is next to the exhaust, and you would have had it happen sooner I think.

OP
OP
1970mule

1970mule

Bronco Guru
ok well there is a fuel line in the engine bay that is about 8-10 inches from the headers so i will wrap those i think. i will check the cap because i don't think the cap vents at all.

thx for the input