• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1 Ton's and Manual Brakes

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I'd like to start this off by saying this is going to be a trailer queen until I get it the way I want it - that being said here is my question.

If you have not been keeping track of my build thread I am currently swapping a D60 for the D44 and a D70 for the 9". The 60 obviously has the large dual piston calipers on it (that I'm currently grinding to fit my 15's) and the rear will be running 3/4 ton Chev calipers on one ton rotors.

The current brakes on the Bronco work so good it is silly - I can put myself through the windshield without an effort with the stock drum/drum setup. I am under quite a time crunch and I am not going to do the hydroboost route quite yet.

I'm thinking the stock MC is not going to be up to the task with the big disk brakes - what master cylinder would be a good fit? Would a T-Bird MC work with the large front disks?

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
Manual disk front and rear? Are you going to eventually go with hyrdo? I have a 79 D60 front and the chevy front 3/4 non e-brake calipers disk swap on the rear but I'm going with Astro Hydroboost. When I had my hydro rebuilt and high flowed by Vancopbs.com he recomended a chevy MC for mine. I can't remember what he told me but I think an 85 or so C30. Give him a call to be 100% sure 800-256-6295

1WILD69

Loc.
south range
I am still using the stock 1969 master and prop. valve, with a '79 60 and 3/4 ton single piston callipers on the rear. One stab at the brakes and it is all locked up. Never had any problems with it.

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I am still using the stock 1969 master and prop. valve, with a '79 60 and 3/4 ton single piston callipers on the rear. One stab at the brakes and it is all locked up. Never had any problems with it.

Good to know - that is the same exact setup I'll be running until I install my hydroboost unit....

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
I put in the same axles and added a MC from a 75 F250 Camper Special.
It bolts right up with no adjustments or changes to the rod. The rear brakes want to lock up in the dirt. I'm going to add an adj proportioning valve this weekend. Other than that I don't feel I need additional assist.