• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Regulating Fuel Pressure??

Bundy

Bronco Guru
If the regulator was allowing too much fuel through to the carb, is it possible that the truck could die out?

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
sure it is possible
Too much fuel pressure can over power the needle and seats. Though if you have a good regulator, set it at 6psi and you should be fine.

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
if i have one tank reading at 6psi and the aux tank running at 9 psi, does that mean the regulator is bad?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
if i have one tank reading at 6psi and the aux tank running at 9 psi, does that mean the regulator is bad?

You're gonna have to spell out how your fuel system is plumbed. Do you have pumps at both tanks leading to a single regulator?

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
You're gonna have to spell out how your fuel system is plumbed. Do you have pumps at both tanks leading to a single regulator?

sorry yes, there is a pump for each tank leading the selector switch and then a single line to the regulator (with a return back to the switch). everything is replaced recently and lines are all new.

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
Sounds like one pump puts out more than the other and the regulator has failed or is set at 9psi or greater. I say or greater because a lot of fuel pumps put out around 9psi so your regulator may not be doing anything. Put it on the 9 psi tank, and adjust the regulator down until you get it between 6 & 4 psi....then when you switch tanks you should get constant pressure. If it fails to adjust down, replace the regulator. Make sure you are using fuel they do not adjust very good in a static condition. Good luck.