• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer oil cooler installed

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I've read some posts that said it couldn't be done so I just had to try it for myself. I figured since I have extreme motor mounts and the engine sits a little higher up front it might just work. I did have to cut off the little oil drip shelf from the cooler because it contacted the cross member. As it is now the end of the filter is the closest thing to the cross member. I might shim the driver's side motor mount to gain just a little more clearance.

So far it seems to work good. It has helped to stabilize my temps. My temp gauge now does not move from 195 degrees (thermostat temp), even in prolonged idling at stop lights. After a long drive I can hold my hand on the coolant inlet and outlet. The filter itself is too hot to hold. I'll see what happens as the weather warms up. Moab might be a good test.

Attachments

• Bronco 314.jpg
    Bronco 314.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 263
  • Bronco 315.jpg
    Bronco 315.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 213

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Not to bring up an old thread, but do you know if the 351w block has the oil filter at a higher position than the 302 block? If so, it may be a viable option for the 351's.

Thanks,

Eric

OP
OP
Viperwolf1

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Pretty sure the filter is in the same position. Just the cylinders are taller.