• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

how to clean out a gas tank..

RobertC

Loc.
Phoenix
I need to refurbish my anx side tank and rear tank.. I will be buying new sending units, but would like to know what to wash out the tank with.. is there a special chemical I can buy.. where??

statella43

Loc.
York PA
I am doing the same thing. I looked it up on Youtube. I used a solvent (mineral spirits) and pea gravel. Most of the guys figured a way to rotate the tank with a motor. I have not hooked anything up yet to rotate it, I just shake it by hand. I do plan to figure something out to rotate it.

gearida

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newburgh, IN
I used a large chain and shook by hand, just to remove some rust. I took mine to a radiator shop where they cleaned, pressure tested, repaired any problems, and painted for $60.00. Of course I'm speaking of a metal tank and not plastic.

tinytim02

I also had mine cleaned at a radiator shop. Then sealed it with the POR15 kit. Should be good for a while...

steven1826

cleaning tank

If you isist on doing it by hand, I used mineral spirits and kerosene and a couple of boxes of cheap nuts and bolts and tumbled it. Find a bike rim put a long coupling nut on the axle and stick it in a vise, use duct tape or real long zip ties or wire and spin. The nuts and bolts dump out and if they don't all a long magnet pick up got the rest. Coat the inside after cleaning, Eastwood and most parts stores have tank liner, just follow instructions.
After all that I didn't know a radiator shop would do them, until now.:p

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
if i reuse a stock tank, i drop it off to get boiled out and sealed at my local rad shop. quick, easy & cost effective.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
insert length of chain/rocks, mineral spirits and...

[youtube]FTkiUT_1a1U[/youtube]

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
When I inspected my tank in January after I drained it 14 years ago it looked good except for a pinkish hard material on the very bottom.
I took it to the local Radiator shop and he had it for 2 months saying he is trying everything to remove the varnish.
Well he had it long enough and said "whatever is in there is going to stay there".
I took it home and decided to rinse it with some fresh gas and the varnish loosened up and came right out.
That would have done wonders on a new carb.