• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5.0 roller block with stock heads?

Baja71

Bronco Guru
I have a new production Ford Racing M6009B50 5.0 roller short block bought from a gentleman that put C9TE 302 heads on it. It is essentially a 2001 Explorer block. I have not run the motor. In talking with Ford MS today, a guy there thought that some of the water ports between the heads and block would not match up, but wasn't 100%. Can anyone verify or deny this so I don't have to unnecessarily dismantle the motor to find out? ?:?

Last edited:

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
There are no problems with the water ports. Pushrod length will be an issue though. You'll have to measure for proper length.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The water port issue is with intake manifolds ie if you use old heads with EFI manifolds you may develop coolant leaks unless old style gaskets are used.
I'm not sure there is a pushrod lenght issues between the heads. only a lenght issue between roller cams and flat tappet cams becuase the roller lifters are taller. but I would also recommend double checking the pushrod lenght to make sure that roller cam pushrods were used and it doesnt hurt to make sure that they are the correct lenght as over time those old heads may have been milled so it could become a slight issue.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I'm not sure there is a pushrod lenght issues between the heads. only a lenght issue between roller cams and flat tappet cams becuase the roller lifters are taller.

There was also the change from the pressed in stud to the pedestal mounted rocker.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Yeah but the pushrod lenght is still the same if you swap between the heads. Usually pushrod lenght only differs with certain years of blocks, types of cams and aftermarket heads.(notice I said usually) (its always a good idea to determine if your pushrods are the correct lenght) The only factory pushrod lenght differance's in SBF's was with early heads with adjustable valves and when they went from flat tappet to roller cams. Everything in between uses the same lenght pushrod. Your best bet is to always use the lenght of pushrods that came with the block for any stock heads

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I run a 71' long block with a 96' explorer intake, there are no issues with any port mis-match. Make sure you use the Fel Pro 1250 intake gasket for the earlier heads, if you use an intake gasket for the year of the intake I believe you will find leaks.

OP
OP
Baja71

Baja71

Bronco Guru
There are no problems with the water ports. Pushrod length will be an issue though. You'll have to measure for proper length.

This guy at Ford Motorsport (Ford Racing) said that the inside ports near three interior head bolts are on opposite sides of the head bolts from each other and that either the head or the block would need holes drilled in it.

OP
OP
Baja71

Baja71

Bronco Guru
I run a 71' long block with a 96' explorer intake, there are no issues with any port mis-match. Make sure you use the Fel Pro 1250 intake gasket for the earlier heads, if you use an intake gasket for the year of the intake I believe you will find leaks.

I'm using a C5OE 4bbl intake and bought intake gaskets for the C9TE heads.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
OK I read your post wrong. I think you should be OK, the only real difference would be that your compression would be higher, as the heads made in the era of your block were 63cc, and your heads are most likely 58cc, but that would only raise compression approximately .5 point so not really an issue. If your really hesitant to run this combo, you could always pull a head off and make sure it mates up properly. 1 head gasket is cheap insurance right?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
This guy at Ford Motorsport (Ford Racing) said that the inside ports near three interior head bolts are on opposite sides of the head bolts from each other and that either the head or the block would need holes drilled in it.

There may be some differences in the steam holes but it's not a problem. Some heads like my AFR's don't even have them.

OP
OP
Baja71

Baja71

Bronco Guru
OK I read your post wrong. I think you should be OK, the only real difference would be that your compression would be higher, as the heads made in the era of your block were 63cc, and your heads are most likely 58cc, but that would only raise compression approximately .5 point so not really an issue. If your really hesitant to run this combo, you could always pull a head off and make sure it mates up properly. 1 head gasket is cheap insurance right?

Yes, 58cc chambers. I'm figuring my combo has a compression ratio of 9.5:1. I'm good with that. Yeah, I'd have to pull the intake and a head, but I'd rather not if it's of no issue, obviously. And with the CB.com braintrust....;D

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
I had to drill a steam hole in my '73 block when installing Edelbrock heads. I know this is the reverse of what you're doing, so it may not be relevant, but I'm wondering if the old heads on the newer block will block the steam vent & cause any issues?

OP
OP
Baja71

Baja71

Bronco Guru
I guess the concern would be running the inside cylinders too hot for normal operation and shortening the life of the motor or heads by having uneven or excessive cylinder temps. This is a brand new (not rebuilt) shortblock so I'm hoping for a LONG run. I'm surprised I'm the only one that's actually done this. Is there a reason no one puts EB heads on a 5.0?

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
I've got an HO block sitting in my shop that, one day, will likely go into an EB. I was planning on using either the Edelbrock heads I've got now, reworked '70 302 heads, or some 289HiPo's I've got in storage so I'm interested in what you find out. No advice, but curious as well...

OP
OP
Baja71

Baja71

Bronco Guru
If the mating surfaces between the 70 heads and the 5.0 block are exposed, you can answer for both of us! :)

I've got an HO block sitting in my shop that, one day, will likely go into an EB. I was planning on using either the Edelbrock heads I've got now, reworked '70 302 heads, or some 289HiPo's I've got in storage so I'm interested in what you find out. No advice, but curious as well...

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
Likely could, but it'll be a few weeks at best. My "Bronco Storage" is about 1200 miles away from me & the HO block and I won't be getting back there until mid-late April. Then I have to find the key to the barn......hopefully you'll find out before then!

OP
OP
Baja71

Baja71

Bronco Guru
Likely could, but it'll be a few weeks at best. My "Bronco Storage" is about 1200 miles away from me & the HO block and I won't be getting back there until mid-late April. Then I have to find the key to the barn......hopefully you'll find out before then!

HA! Yeah, I could see how that might make it a little harder, and I thought having a storage unit 70 miles away was a PIA!