• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Guessing I need a Steering Box rebuild

grant_71

Bronco Guru
Well it occurred to me that spring is here, since the Charger is out of the garage, the Bronco is not far behind. Last year i started having problems with my steering box, it is leaking some fluid, and it tends to catch when turning, so that you have to slightly go back the other way and "break" through the catch. So, it obviously needs something, i am guessing just a full rebuild, will this kit have everything i need?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Steering-Gear-Kit-Powercraft_3869040-P_22_R|GRPSTERAMS_636002081___

Otherwise it is a call to West Texas Offroad, but this is just a street truck with stock 77 power steering so i don't need anything extremely tough.

Grant

TheBroncoRanch

Bronco Guru
Grant, send it to west texas, They will do a stock rebuild for you. Way better than messing with it yourself. I had great service from them.

Tom

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Take a look at your steering linkage while someone else cycles it turn to turn. My (slightly bent) tierod used to catch on the front lower shock mounts. That could be the catch you feel.

zeeman1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle
They are really easy to take apart and put back together. Mine was doing something similar and all it needed was a cleanup on the inside. Take it apart and take a look, could save you some cash.