• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 44 - Power-Lock (Power-Lok) - any comments?

Landho

Loc.
Cypress, TX
Today I have Lock Right in the D44 w/ 4.10 gears. Going to 4.56 gears and I have an opportunity to get a Dana Power-Lock (or Power-Lok??)

I am having a helluva time finding some decent comparisons of the Lock Right and the Power-Lock. Any posts about them get buried with “get an ARB” or “get a Detroit” or “get an OX”. None of those are options in this situation – so spare me.

The rear is Posi today but soon will have Detroit w/ 4.56 or 4.88 gears.

Anyone running the Dana Power-Lock up front? Problems?? Comments??? Positives???

Expected use is mud, rocks, dirt, and short trips on the road.

Rockin69er

I ran Powr-locs front and rear of a 69 F-250 crew cab for years. It was a daily driver (only vehicle) and hunting rig. Loved them. My Bronco came with a Dana 30 with the Powr-loc and was great in everything except rock crawling. Unless your serious about rock crawling you will like it. Just remember it is a limited slip, the hardest locking one, and not a true locker.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The Lock Right is a lunchbox locker and the Power Lock is a limited slip. If you are going to put your bronco in places where it would have a front wheel in the air the locker would be better. If you use 4wd on the street much the limited slip would be better.

treihesse

Bronco Guru
yeah all 4 wheels locked up on roads is like a death wish. I was driving today in the snow and thought I was going to die!!!!!!! LOL

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
I have a power lock in the front for the last 20 years, it has worked great with the combination of the Detroit Locker in the rear. Easier to turn too.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Power lock (had in a D30) is a limited slip. Hence it is still a differential. Easier to steer when in 4WD. But it is still a differential, where the lock rite is a locker. The lock rite can cause some tough turns when in 4WD, but it will turn tires. If one has good traction and the other in the air, it doesn't car. It will turn the one with traction. Where the trac lock will five some force from the limited slip, but the differental action will still slip.

Both will work on dirt, mud and pavment. But the lock rite will work better in the rocks for getting you over and through things, just tougher steering it while doing so.

Is that the comparison you were looking for?

Bronco717274

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tremont, Ms.
I've got a power lock in my dana 60 rear and I love it. It has 1 extra disc in it to tighten it up, I can have one rear wheel off the ground and the other one still pull's.

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
yeah all 4 wheels locked up on roads is like a death wish. I was driving today in the snow and thought I was going to die!!!!!!! LOL

leave one hub unlocked unless you are getting crazy. I used to do this when I lived in snow country. Four wheel drive and open differentials I have found is the best for street driving. one wheel is staying put keeping the vehicle on the road while the others move it...sometimes. It is better than all four wheels flipping out and the vehicle sliding off the road or into some -one -thing.