• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

voltage at sending unit ?

landacre

Loc.
Spring Branch, TX
What should the voltage be at the sending unit. Mine isn't working but the resistance is right. The voltage reading jumps around from zero up to 6 volts, up and down. Is that what it should do? I have checked it from different ground points.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
What should the voltage be at the sending unit. Mine isn't working but the resistance is right. The voltage reading jumps around from zero up to 6 volts, up and down. Is that what it should do? I have checked it from different ground points.

That's about correct voltage for the IVR. You also have 2 other gauges that run off that voltage supply. If they work and look correct the problem is not the voltage.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If the temp and oil gauges work, the IVR is fine.
Take the wire off the sending unit on the gas gauge and ground it. If the gauge pegs full, the sending unit in the tank is toast. If the gauge still reads E then go to the back of the gauge (easier to remove the drivers air box) and ground the fuel gauge there (sender wire, not the power off the IVR).
Gauge still read E when the others work? Gauge is toast.
Gauge suddenly starts working? Probably a bad gauge selector switch on the dash or a bad wire.

If you really want to try and read voltage on the sender wire at the tank (disconnected from the sender at the tank), it should be a blinking 12V with the key on.