• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

2 battery set up?

macascio

Loc.
Lafayette, LA
I am considering a 2 battery set up but i have a few questions? If i run my radio in my rig for more than 30 minutes with it not cranked my battery begins to drop off so fast my rig won't crank. I am considering a 2 battery set up, my questions are how is this done and will the stock alternator charge both? I know polaris set this up on my ranger when i purchased it 3 years back I have never had any issues at all, just wondering if this would work on the Bronco. tia mark

jdcone

Loc.
riverside, ca
Yeah, the stock altenator will charge both.....slowly. You need to upgrade the altenator. You also need an battery isolator. This will stop you from running both batteries down. Dedicate one battery for the stereo. Think RV's. They carry 6 or more batteries, plus the starting battery.

justinoshea

Contributor
Loc.
Gilbert, AZ
your current battery may be weak. I run an amp and a sub and can crank it for hours no problem. stock alternator is fine with 2 batteries.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here's a decent write up on dual batteries worth checking out: http://www.svapowerproducts.com/html/dual_batteries.html

Plus, Ray at SVA would be a good guy to talk to about an upgraded alternator as well and he's a board sponsor. I also tend to think your battery isn't up to par if you're having issues after only 30 minutes...but you didn't mention how big your stereo is either.

OP
OP
M

macascio

Loc.
Lafayette, LA
The battery is a brand new, i have had it installed for no more than 3 weeks its a gold top something or another from autozone was like 89.00! The system has 2 alpine amps, 2 12 inch woofers, and 4 other speakers along with the deck but I am with you guys it should be pullin down my battery that fast.

SnwMnkys

Loc.
Orem, Utah
I set up dual optimas in mine. Built the battery tray myself, the isolator is a NW Wrangler setup, and im running a 3g alternator.

dualoptimasv.jpg

cupcake

Hers mine. Not isolated. Maybe Ill get to it one day. Been like this for years and no probs. Also running a 3g.
cimg0352.jpg

Amac70

ME
those battery switches won't isolate the batteries from each other. so if one battery is not the same as the other it will drain both till they are equal. What you need is a battery isolator. http://www.surepower.com/isolator.html

You can get these for less then 50 dollars( i know northern tool has them), they will isolate the battery's from each other and allow them both to charge at the same time. They make em in different amp rating so if you go to a bigger alt make sure you get a bigger one. If you run this set up you can have your engine run off one battery and all you accessery's run off the other, so you'll always be able to start your rig.