• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Adding low gearset to an AOD, who's done it?

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Here's my quandry, I stumbled onto a very low mile rebuilt Hughes AOD, with an adapter, and everything else needed for a very reasonable price. I also have a 2wd 4R70W(that I stole off of ebay) sitting out in the shed. I don't want to do the '4R' due the the computer and updating/upgrading needed.

If I pick up the AOD, how much work is involved in swapping the planetary gears (low gearset from the 4R70W)? I believe I have the technical experience and know how to rebuild an automatic, but I know the AOD requires a few special tools to install seals. Do I need to worry about that if I'm just swapping gearsets? What do I need to know?

Thanks.

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
I have a 4r in my rig. I started with an AODE, and put in the 4r gearset. I was planning on doing it myself, but eventually paid a shop to do it. CCR is a great site for info on AOD and 4R upgrades.
Personally I think the electronic controls are worth the extra money. I spent about a month dialing in the shift points. I have two sets of shift parameters, so I can change them with the flip of the switch if I'm towing. Its like a different truck now.
With the AOD, your governor and valve body are much harder to adjust if you don't get it right.

CCR will also tell you that you should move the entire 4r drivetrain over to the AOD housing. Its much better built than the AOD.
Tom