• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

heim joint steering conversion

erlybroxs

so i want to change my steering system over and get rid of my ball joints and replace them with heim joints. however these systems cost at the bottom end $300. i figured i could build the system my self and save $150.

i was just curious if anyone has purchased one of these kits and know what the length of the DOM tubing is that's used for the steering rod and drag link. this would have me some time and reduce trial and error.

thanks

cupcake

Just get the rod ends you want to use or get the specs and subtract that and the specs on the weld in bungs or not if your going to thread the dom from the overall length you need?

burntfish

Loc.
ouray, co
Save some money and do the Cheby 1 ton tie rod ends with some 1 1/2 Dom tubing. They don't require as much maintenance as heims and can be picked up at any auto parts store. Go to machine shop and have the tubing taped out and ream your knuckles out and you are good to go.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Quality heims are expensive. I can get 3/4" aircraft heims for about $20 each. I also have some of those nice high end heims. holding both side by side, you wonder how an airplane is certified to fly?

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Just buy the complete kit that you want, and save yourself some time. After you make all those trips and phone calls to get everything you need. Then threading the tubing with right and left threads, you may be ahead $20.00. It's just not worth all the legwork. Maybe if you were making several sets, then you would be ahead. But for just yourself, I would look at a ready to go system. Like Stone Crusher.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Save some money and do the Cheby 1 ton tie rod ends with some 1 1/2 Dom tubing. They don't require as much maintenance as heims and can be picked up at any auto parts store. Go to machine shop and have the tubing taped out and ream your knuckles out and you are good to go.
Ditto. Inexpensive, strong as hell, easily available and proven.
What advantage are you gaining using heims?

Last edited:

zeeman1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle
Just buy the complete kit that you want, and save yourself some time. After you make all those trips and phone calls to get everything you need. Then threading the tubing with right and left threads, you may be ahead $20.00. It's just not worth all the legwork. Maybe if you were making several sets, then you would be ahead. But for just yourself, I would look at a ready to go system. Like Stone Crusher.

Depends on what your looking for. If you like the adventure and feeling of accomplishment that comes from building it yourself and it doesn't cost you anymore, I'd go start building. If I can build it, even if it is more expensive I'll ususally do that just for the fun of doing it.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Depends on what your looking for. If you like the adventure and feeling of accomplishment that comes from building it yourself and it doesn't cost you anymore, I'd go start building. If I can build it, even if it is more expensive I'll ususally do that just for the fun of doing it.

I get your point. I've done a bunch of things myself that cost twice as much as just buying it. But they're done exactly the way I want it. The cost is getting set up to do the project. Then you have a bunch of left over stuff. It's nice to have extra things on hand, but thats what drives up the cost on some of these projects. When I did my steering, I would of burned up a few favors and only saved a few dollars. So for me it was an easy decision.

burntfish

Loc.
ouray, co
The cheby tie rod ends are stronger and you can get them anywhere if you break on and the have a lifetime warranty on them.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Here we go again!

You can buy the weld in ends for the chebby Tie rod end conversion so no taps needed.

Here is a link to a build yourself kit for 229.00
http://completeoffroad.com/i-124127-tie-rod-drag-link-kit-dana-3044-and-60.html

If you absolutely must have the dreaded heims that are not serviceable and are not available at any parts store. Buy a system from stonecrusher.

I myself will stick with my Chevy TRE conversion.

Ben

OP
OP
E

erlybroxs

wont 1 have to ream out the bronco knuckles to fit the chevy 1 ton ball joints? where the reamer at complete off road cost $70.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If Chevy built an airplane, would you fly in it?

I would love to fly in a Ford Tri-motor. I have flown a 400 HP CJ6, and it wasn't a Jeep.

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
Heim conversion can be done for $150 a vehicle IF you do more than 2 at a time... The biggest obstacle is the DOM. Its cheaper to buy it in 20 ft. lengths than in short pieces... Heim s from Ruff Stuff in Sacramento are only $40 a set... WE are doing two now...

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Good Heims are 0 maintance and they last better than the aftermarket rod ends I have tested. DOM larger than 1 1/4" is over kill. Cheap heims aren't worth installing. my opinion

haydenjsle

Loc.
Southern CO
i was just curious if anyone has purchased one of these kits and know what the length of the DOM tubing is that's used for the steering rod and drag link. this would have me some time and reduce trial and error.

thanks

I had my local machine shop order my DOM with the correct inside diameter so all he had to do was cut it to length and run a tap through the ends--no drilling or buying/welding bungs. I called QA1 and had them recommend some good quality rod ends for my application. I can't remember the total cost but it saved me a fair amount of money and was very simple to do.

Measurements with 76 knuckles and no drop pitman:

center link--46 3/4 inches
drag link----38 3/4 inches