• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

functional fender vents?

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is there an aftermarket Functional fender vent for EB's? Or do I have to design some up for us?
Sounds like a good idea for getting some of the heat out.
Reamer

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
Theres the inner fender things, broncool or whatever, that replaces the inner fenderwell with perforated panels.

fordtrucks4ever

Bronco Guru
Loc.
DFW
Is there an aftermarket Functional fender vent for EB's? Or do I have to design some up for us?
Reamer

You dont you think the big hole below engine bay is enough?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You dont you think the big hole below engine bay is enough?

Not when you have a big engine plugging up most of that hole.
Then at speed air packs up under the front of the truck. Above 80 I get noticable lift in the front from air packing under the rig. a nice big air dam under the front bumper would do wonders for highway driving but would really suck offroad, and look really dumb as well.

fordtrucks4ever

Bronco Guru
Loc.
DFW
Reamer

Here is an idea for helping with a design. Get a water hose and open hood. Now fill up the engine compartment. Any areas that hold large amounts of water is where you might try working in those vents.

Last edited:

Dusty

Bronco Guru
I'm a big fan of removing the inner fenders all together and going tubular instead. Better cooling is one of the biggest benefits. But short of going that radical, the perforated fender skirts from Scott at American Bronco (also sold through Wild Horses) are pretty nice. We've installed a few sets of them on customers' Broncos and they're a nice product. Yeah for some the price might be prohibitive. In that case simply cutting out the inner panel all together, or using a hole saw to put some holes in it, are good low-cost alternatives (although the perforated sheetmetal pieces do look cool).

As for the skepticism that this actually does any good, I'm here to tell you it does. Its not a matter of the engine compartment being air-tight, of course its not. But its a confined enough space that it hinders airflow. And that is detrimental both in the form of higher under-hood temperatures as well as inhibiting airflow through the radiator. Cutting or modifying the inner fenders helps in two ways, first it allows better airflow, and also it reduces the heat-shield effect of the inner fender, which does a quite efficient job of trapping heat from the headers which are right next to it. And remember that headers give off even more heat than cast iron manifolds do.

Dusty

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Cutting the inner fenders out also lets you cover the motor with mud and water - that should help keep it cool :D

I'm going to have to install something to keep the critters out - maybe as simple as simple as some heavy gauge screen or chicken type wire.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
take your hood to a hot rod or metal shop and have them louver the stock steel hood. I heard that helps.

I'm planning on running the plasma down the hood, lifting the stock "scoop" and frenching in some metal. That should be a cheap fix ;D

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I'm planning on running the plasma down the hood, lifting the stock "scoop" and frenching in some metal. That should be a cheap fix ;D

Properly done that should be great. But a small understanding of aerodynamics helps a ton. There is a low pressure area above the hood from about the radiator back to about the distributor cap. Vent that and it will pull air out. But if you do anything back by the windshield you will get a high pressure area and be pushing air into the engine compartment (cowl induction hood syndrom)

A homemade manometer (U-tube of water) with the ends on either side of the sheetmetal where you are thinking of putting hole and go for a drive. Watch the tube. See if there is a pressure difference, how much and which direction.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
interesting idea
The guys on the ramchargercentral site have done this and it looked fantastic.
He used a set of vents from a toyota MR2. Go to www.ramchargercentral.com and have a look at his cure for this problem.
TOFIC

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Properly done that should be great. But a small understanding of aerodynamics helps a ton. There is a low pressure area above the hood from about the radiator back to about the distributor cap. Vent that and it will pull air out. But if you do anything back by the windshield you will get a high pressure area and be pushing air into the engine compartment (cowl induction hood syndrom)

A homemade manometer (U-tube of water) with the ends on either side of the sheetmetal where you are thinking of putting hole and go for a drive. Watch the tube. See if there is a pressure difference, how much and which direction.

So in layman's terms I need to create a vent on the front of the hood and leave the back alone. This is a trail rig - not going to see high speeds.

grant_71

Bronco Guru
Not when you have a big engine plugging up most of that hole.
Then at speed air packs up under the front of the truck. Above 80 I get noticable lift in the front from air packing under the rig. a nice big air dam under the front bumper would do wonders for highway driving but would really suck offroad, and look really dumb as well.

Your Bronco goes over 80?? :eek: :eek: