• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Venting axles

recoiljunky

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan, AL. USA
Does anybody have any trick axle vent setups?

Have you ran your vent hose into the cab and placed a filter on it?

Any other ideas?

Let's see pics.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Run the hoses up as high as you can and loop the end so water can't get in. Leave enough excess for flex. I don't think I'd run them into the cab, gear oil stinks.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The bellows may work on an axle that is on a trailer queen and never gets hot from highway driving.

Realisicly, extend the front axle vent up to the master cylinder and point the open end down to keep stuff from dropping in it. Rear axle will extend up into the tail light area nicely. After that, you have other worries for transmission and transfer case. No point in putting them in the cab, stinky, if they spit a little they make a huge mess.

rainer73

Loc.
Deer Park,Texas
I connected the front/rear diff. and tranfer case vents into one line and ran it up high into the engine compartment right of the hydroboost brakes. I place a universal clear fuel filter on line to keep dirt out.

Attachments

• 100_1534 (Large).jpg
    100_1534 (Large).jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 123
OP
OP
recoiljunky

recoiljunky

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan, AL. USA
I connected the front/rear diff. and tranfer case vents into one line and ran it up high into the engine compartment right of the hydroboost brakes. I place a universal clear fuel filter on line to keep dirt out.

Nice!

Good info guys. I didn't think about the gear oil stinking (which is odd, since I've been wallering in it all weekend.)

I guess I should have mentioned that the Bronco will dive off into deep mud holes and keeping the vents dry is a must.

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
I use one of those BCB multiple filter vents mounted in the engine compartment as high as I could get it. Everything vents to this block.;)

Attachments

• 12-13-08 001.jpg
    12-13-08 001.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 98

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The bellows may work on an axle that is on a trailer queen and never gets hot from highway driving.

True, but it says it can be fitted to a hose and put up high too. So maybe it could still work on a driver?
Does anyone know if it's got it's own vent openings or if it's a closed bellows? Never seen them, but if they are closed, then they're simply allowing for expansion and not open to the air. Which means no filter to worry about and no water in and (theoretically at least) no mess.
Not a bad idea really, if expansion is all that's needed, as I suspect might be the case in most instances.
Maybe we've only use open ended fittings, like hoses and filters, simply because we copied how the O.E.'s did it with their minimal cost type budgets.
Not that that's a bad thing...

What do you guys think? Does the vent actually need to "vent", or can it just use some room to expand?

Paul

72Quarterhorse

I use a umbrella cap kind of vent that I got off of a Toyota truck. PS I don't do deep water crossing.

Attachments

• 000_0070.jpg
    000_0070.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 77

ransil

Bronco Guru
I use plastic umbrella cap thing found on late model Jeeps, they are usually under the hood back near the firewall.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I copied the BCB setup and put both vents under the hood.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I also used the BCB multi-outlet filter. Its in the engine compartment above the fender near the cowl on the Pass side at about the same height as the engine air filter...

If I am deep enough to kill the engine, then I probably need to drain and refill the diffs, tranny and TC too...but if I am ever that deep, I have a feeling the axles and drivetrain will be the least of my worries.

sprinksbeme

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kingman, AZ

I also use fuel filters on my vents. I run them as high as posible and put a turned down piece of tubing to keep to open end clear.

Some one made a small remote filter with several barbed connectors on it for this purpose. I think BCB carried them but I can't find it now.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We used to sell the beejeezes out of those little Toyota cap thingies. Run the hose up high, like stock, and put the cappy-doodle into the hose.
Seemed to work great and had that O.E. flavor to them.

Paul

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
I've seen a floating ball check valve style vent capper for axles. You run the hose up high, then do the J-hook so it is pointing down and add the floating ball valve. If you go too deep the water will float the ball valve, closing off the vent hose and supposedly won't get in. Probably still want to work a filter into the mix somewhere.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
wheres the vent on an NP435?

As mentioned, it breaths through the ball of the shifter on top of the transmission. Raising the vent would involve some motorcycle innertube, some hose clamps and probably a bit of goo.