• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

putting A/C in classic eb

mista mal

Loc.
LAFAYETTE, LA
what are your recommendations on putting air conditioning in EBs. I live in the hot deep south and feel as though it would make it easier to drive in summer. What does and entire kit cost on average and how much do people usually charge to install.

Thanks,

Chris

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
BC Broncos sells a sweet a/c & heater unit that fits under the dash.

http://www.bcbroncos.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=35_117&products_id=435

I have researched this and the BCB seems to be the best fit for a bronco. It is well thought out and there are a few threads here on installing one. It is very slick. No hanging out from under the dash. It replaces the heater box just like a new truck and vents in the dash.
I will be installing one before the summer.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
How much are you looking to spend?

A used underdash unit and other used parts could get A/C for a few hundred bucks. From there the price goes up. Entirely possible to spend $2500 for a top of the line unit with custom install.

Trapperbob10

I too live in a hot climate(S Texas) and tried Tom's A/C kit for my '73. Installation was easy but the A/C unit was not up to the climate.

Ended up going to local shop and had them fabricate a oversize A/C using a Old Mustang style underdash blower and oversize condenser and compressor.

Spent about $1500.00 4 yr ago but it was money well spent.

I would also recommend putting as much insulation as you can between the engine compartment and transmission tunnel.

One of the problems that the shop found was excessive heat coming thru the floor pans.

Regards,

Trapper

justinoshea

Contributor
Loc.
Gilbert, AZ
I would also recommend putting as much insulation as you can between the engine compartment and transmission tunnel.

good point.

I though about A/C at one point and realized that it would take a system that could transfer ALOT of BTUs just to keep up with the amount of energy coming though the roof, floor and windows. the only way to get the inside comfy would take a complete effort on the whole vehicle. how ever many BTUs are pumped out of the interior go into the radiator so the cooling system would have to be able to handle that too.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
good point.

I though about A/C at one point and realized that it would take a system that could transfer ALOT of BTUs just to keep up with the amount of energy coming though the roof, floor and windows. the only way to get the inside comfy would take a complete effort on the whole vehicle. how ever many BTUs are pumped out of the interior go into the radiator so the cooling system would have to be able to handle that too.

I've done all that and it's worth the trouble. Insulate everything you can and that goes double for the firewall. Makes the ride a lot quieter too. Window tint is a must. I use a three pass radiator (yes, they know how to make radiators in Bakersfield!), a good flex fan, shroud, and 195* thermostat. It will idle in 110* traffic in gear without a problem. I've had both the unit that Toms sells and the Vintage Air. The unit from Toms is easier to install but moves quite a bit less air than the Vintage Air unit.

Attachments

• console b.jpg
    console b.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 138
Last edited by a moderator:

tomsoffroad76

Sponsor/Vendor
TOMS OFFROAD
Hey guys, just thought I would mention we are now offering both a/c kits.

The old one we have is nice in the fact that it is easier to install and retains your old heat system in effect costing less. It also is nice in that the compressor mounts on the passenger side and does not require you to change the crank pulley as it runs off the alternator circuit. This kit is also nice for those looking for a "stock" setup as it is extremely similar to the original kit offered as a dealer add-on.

The Vintage Air system is nice if you are looking to replace your heat system as well as add A/C. It uses a slightly larger compressor than our standard kit. It is also nice in that it does not take up as much space under the dash like the standard does.

Our standard kit is $839 plus ship. The Vintage Air kit is $1089 w/free shipping to the lower 48 (sorry, no free ship to HI or AK but we'll work with you guys to ease the pain a little).

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Hey guys, just thought I would mention we are now offering both a/c kits.

The old one we have is nice in the fact that it is easier to install and retains your old heat system in effect costing less. It also is nice in that the compressor mounts on the passenger side and does not require you to change the crank pulley as it runs off the alternator circuit. This kit is also nice for those looking for a "stock" setup as it is extremely similar to the original kit offered as a dealer add-on.

The Vintage Air system is nice if you are looking to replace your heat system as well as add A/C. It uses a slightly larger compressor than our standard kit. It is also nice in that it does not take up as much space under the dash like the standard does.

Our standard kit is $839 plus ship. The Vintage Air kit is $1089 w/free shipping to the lower 48 (sorry, no free ship to HI or AK but we'll work with you guys to ease the pain a little).
The Vintage Air unit that you sale is not the same as the unit I sale from Vintage Air. Mine is made for the EB and yours is a universal kit. I am not saying that kit is not good just trying to cut down of the confusion.

tomsoffroad76

Sponsor/Vendor
TOMS OFFROAD
The Vintage Air unit that you sale is not the same as the unit I sale from Vintage Air. Mine is made for the EB and yours is a universal kit. I am not saying that kit is not good just trying to cut down of the confusion.

Not sure what you are getting from them that is different, but the one we have is made specifically for the EB per Vintage Air. Not a universal kit.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
There is a big difference between the BC unit and the one available directly from Vintage Air. I have the latter. The one from BC is made by Vintage Air only for BC and uses different registers, controls, and compressor mounting brackets. My Vintage Air unit has the compressor mounted on the passenger side and BC mounts the compressor on the driver side.

Attachments

• BC air.jpg
    BC air.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 69

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I forgot to insert th photo of th Vintage Air compressor installed on th passenger side.

Attachments

• engine 5a.jpg
    engine 5a.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 87

tomsoffroad76

Sponsor/Vendor
TOMS OFFROAD
blubuckaroo, thanks for the posts. I do stand corrected on the mounting of our compressor. It does mount on the passenger side. I was actually happy to hear this because the driver side is a bit crowded with power steering and a/c over there. After speaking with George at Vintage Air, he told me that the kit we have was designed specifically for the Early Bronco by Vintage Air. The kit that Chuck sells is a kit that uses Vintage Air components but has been put together by BC. I guess the main point I am making is that neither unit is a universal kit, both have been designed specifically for the EB. The difference is the angle taken in designing the systems.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
blubuckaroo, thanks for the posts. I do stand corrected on the mounting of our compressor. It does mount on the passenger side. I was actually happy to hear this because the driver side is a bit crowded with power steering and a/c over there. After speaking with George at Vintage Air, he told me that the kit we have was designed specifically for the Early Bronco by Vintage Air. The kit that Chuck sells is a kit that uses Vintage Air components but has been put together by BC. I guess the main point I am making is that neither unit is a universal kit, both have been designed specifically for the EB. The difference is the angle taken in designing the systems.
Maybe George doesn't know about my A/C unit. My unit uses some of VA's parts but some are made for me only like the evap unit that fits under the dash, the whole thing is my design and made for me only, I paid for the molds. The bracket that mounts the compressor is also mine. Unless VA just started making a new unit what you are selling is the Bronco/Landcruiser SureFit system. There are 4 major diff. between our unit and the VA Bronco/Landcuiser kit. 1. Our kit allows you to use a full stock/tuffy glove box. 2. Our kit is survo controled making the heat and A/C infinitely adjustable and no vaccum. 3. Heat and A/C can come through the floor or dash vents 4. The A/C and heater hoses go through the firewall using an aluminum bulkhead connector behind the engine.

Last edited:

tomsoffroad76

Sponsor/Vendor
TOMS OFFROAD
Sorry Chuck, maybe I wasn't clear in what I was saying. I was saying that your kit is designed by you using some Vintage Air parts. I didn't mean to say that all the parts you use are Vintage Air. The kit we are selling is the Bronco SureFit system. The Landcruiser Surefit system is actually a different unit designed specifically for the Landcruiser. I think where you are getting confused is that they are both advertised on the same page, so the ad page says Bronco/Landcruiser Surefit. The two kits are different kits but have similar enough features that they are advertised together but if you look, they have two separate part numbers because they are designed specifically for that application.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
At the risk of generating more sales perspective................

Does anyone know which Vintage Air system works better regardless of who has design ownership ?

Maybe a "cool off / show down" is in order ?

I would be happy to offer my EB as test bed as long as I get to keep the best performer.

;D

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Go to Tom's, BCB and Vintage air. Read the information on all 3 sites and decide which would be best for you.