• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Clutch adjuster

kaw550

Bronco Guru
I removed my clutch linkage to install new bushings and found the eye on the the adjument rod is much bigger than the post it mounts to.

I purchased a bushing from WH but from an ealier post it didnt sound like most people were using them.

Even with the bushing there is still some play.

Is this normal? Do I have the wrong part?

Attachments

• 0408091933.jpg
    0408091933.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 39

SHX669

Bronco Guru
It's fairly common . Some have bigger eyes than others .
It's a " generic part " -non Bronco specific. So you can look for one with a smaller eye , weld a washer with a smaller opening over the eye , or just forget it.
SHX

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
I went to Ace to find something for that and some old man came out of the back room with a 1/2" long piece of copper tubing. Fit pretty good, but I had to trim the length down to fit, but it will stay there until it wears out and it was free. ;D

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
hardware store should have something to tighten it up...

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I cut and threaded a 5/16 bolt and used a heim there. I think I had to pull out a clip to remove the stud from the eq bar. Then I used a 3/8 bolt and 2 jam nuts to hold the heim.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Looks quite worn to me. They are usually a close fit when in good condition unless someone has swapped out the linkage and put a generic one on. I usually weld them up and redrill so the bushing fits properly.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
you need something in there. metal to metal will just wear out. either bush it properly or as mentioned a rod end will work. need to check the stud as it will wear out over time being metal to metal also.

i just dealt wiht that this week. i machined up a nice nylon bushing and reshaped the eye so it was round again. she's good to go now.

d.c.parris

Loc.
cumming ga.
there is a nylon bushing that goes into the rod end it has a big lip on it that goes out toward the retainer clip kinda like the bushing up near the pedal maybe get at ford dealer

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
They might have the bushings but they are all out of those rods. Something seized up in the clutch on our 66 and it bent the rod.