• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EZ locker question

treihesse

Bronco Guru
Mine seems to make alot of noise even when the front end is not locked in. The locker was installed 500 miles ago so I dont think I did anything wrong. Anyone have a similar issue??

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
EZ locker is a first class POS in my opinion. I ran it offroad during OCBR in 2007 and immediately pulled it out after getting back home. It popped continuously any time it was under a load. The lockrite and the aussie seem to work a lot better.

yjzonie

Loc.
Scottsdale, AZ
The Assuie Locker is the best of the lunck box locker in my opinion. The EZ locker is on the bottom of the list and I've heard the Lockrite has come a long way since thier first models , which didn't last very long.

justinoshea

Contributor
Loc.
Gilbert, AZ
I've had the detriot EZ up front for 8 years and it has never made any noises. works beautifully. one of the best $300 I ever spent on my bronco. can't say anything about the stuff made today, but we all know quality isn't improving from china.

my rear detriot makes some loud bangs every once and awhile.

OP
OP
treihesse

treihesse

Bronco Guru
Mine is not real bad. I was on the snow a few weeks ago and when I hit the brakes it was really bad. It mainly rachets around corners on me.

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
I think we are missing the point here guys...It's making noise even when you don't have the hubs locked in or the front drive shaft engaged? Seems to me there shouldn't be anything at all happening when that is the case. You might have a hub seized up or something else is making the noise.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
For the most part the problems with the lunchbox lockers that I have seen can usually be traced back to using them in a used, wore out carrier.

The lockers are typically very quiet, if you can hear them in the cab over the engine noise, usually something isn't right. As for the different brands, I have seen very little difference. They are all the same basic concept and function.

OP
OP
treihesse

treihesse

Bronco Guru
its not that loud!!! Only when I turn it makes noise. My question is>>>>> It seems to rachet at times when Im NOT in 4x4 or the hubs locked in at all.

I have a NP435/D20 with a Ez locker up front and A Spool in the rear. Mile marker premium hubs up front. It only makes noise when the truck turns. I does make noise when Im locked in and Im on ICE>>>> OUCH

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
This is what I would do to check it...There might be easier ways.

Put the front end up on jack stands, make sure the hubs are unlocked, try to rotated the tires, watch the axle, if the axle turns, then the hub is not unlocked(seized or something). Then make sure the TC is in 2hi, and try to turn the front driveline by hand. If it is truly disengaged it should spin fairly easily and the front tires shouldn't rotate. If all that is true then your front diff is not doing anything while you are driving in 2 hi with the hubs unlocked and the noise isn't from the locker. If any of that is false, then you have problems with your TC or front hubs.

OP
OP
treihesse

treihesse

Bronco Guru
front driveline spins free in 2HI. Im gonna check those MM hubs.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If there is noise in 2WD, you have something else wrong. hubs dragging, wheels loose on the studs, wheel weights hitting the steering, something. Locker shouldn't even be turning in 2WD. That is the whole idea of the transfer case in 2Wd with the hubs unlocked, none of the drivetrain parts are moving.

OP
OP
treihesse

treihesse

Bronco Guru
hUbs seem fine too... Maybe Im a freak:) Could be TSL rubbing on radius arm?? Anyone got spacers

haydenjsle

Loc.
Southern CO
EZ locker is a first class POS in my opinion. I ran it offroad during OCBR in 2007 and immediately pulled it out after getting back home. It popped continuously any time it was under a load. The lockrite and the aussie seem to work a lot better.

I don't know when some of you bought yours, but I bought the EZ locker when it first came out and had the same problem(s)--extremely annoying--sounded like my frontend was breaking. I called the mfg. and they said they had some tolerance/ clearance issues on the first EZ lockers for the D44. They shipped me a new one and I have had no problems since. It's no louder now than any lockrites I've owned or installed.

Treihesse--I assume you have a rear locker if you just put in a front one-are you sure it's not your rear locker ratcheting--maybe you just haven't ever noticed it until now.

OP
OP
treihesse

treihesse

Bronco Guru
its a spool in the rear. I also found my driver side tie rod was loose. That could have been it as well.