• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

clicking noise: electrically related

SI_Bronco

Greetings. Have a question more than a problem, in that the '77 starts, runs and drives just fine....
'77 EB with electronic ignition, converted (prior to my buying the truck) to electric fuel pump feeding a Holley 4bbl carb from 3 (yes, that's T H R E E) fuel tanks.

Turning the ignition to "run" (not "start"), I can hear the piston-style fuel pump running underneath the truck until system is pressurized, but I can also hear a clicking noise from the engine compartment, which seems to be coming from the distributor base. It is a constant "click, click, click" at a pretty good pace. Removing the cap and rotor has no effect...it continues to click, but looking at it in a darkened garage, no spark/arc is visible to indicate a short (and again, the truck starts and runs just fine).

Since the intake has been changed to a 4bbl with fairly tall runners, I can't say whether the distributor is stock, or a taller replacement (my other EB is a '74, so I have NO experience with the factory ignition system on this '77).

Any explanations or ideas? Thanks in advance...

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Theres nothing is a factory dist that would click. in fact theres nothing in the factory ignition system that will click. Maybe if it was a points dist but it would only click if the dist was turning and it would be very doubtful if you could hear it. Not sure on all the after market setups but I'd be doubtful if any of them would click either.
The only thing I can think of is that many you have a idle speed solinoid on the carb that is bad. Is there a small canister with a wire(usually blue colored wire) coming out hooked to the front of the carb on the linkage side?

SHX669

Bronco Guru
What happens when you turn the key to accessories position ?
SHX

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Could it actually be coming from the carb? The float needle could be opening/closing until the fuel level has stabilized.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What kind of, if any, electronic ignition module is mounted anywhere visible? The Ford Duraspark (which is what your '77 would have had from the factory) would usualy be on the inner fender. Other types of ignitions might have the module inside the distributor body though, and could conceivably make a clicking sound when things are in certain positions. My original Jacobs box clicked rhythmically whenver the key was on.
How loud is it? Does it sound the same as a spark arcing, or quieter?

Paul

OP
OP
S

SI_Bronco

Broncnaz, SHX669, Viperwolf1 & Dirtdonk...Thanks for your replies.

Canister on linkage side: no

Aux. position: didn't try that, I was more fixated on getting fuel to the carb and starting it.

Definitely coming from distributor....cap on, cap off (sorry Mr. Miyagi!) makes a noticeable difference in the noise level.

Now, the module thing...there is a box on the driver's-side front inner fender similar to the one on the '77 T-bird my brother used to drive....will have to see if that has been bypassed in order to use an aftermarket distributor.

Ya'll are great.....thanks again.