• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Back spacing question for 17x9's

screamin reel

Loc.
Calgary, Alberta, Ca
Looking at 17x9 wheeels either the MT Classic ll's or Eagle Alloy 186's.

Most of what I have read states 4" or less back spacing to work. Seems all the 17x9's are 4.5"'s or more.
Am I missing something here ? Will 4 1/2" back spacing work ?
I don't want to get into spacers if at all possible but I can't find a 17" wheel with 4" or less back spacing at least not one that will break the bank.

What is the back spacing you are using on your 17's and do you have rubbing issues ?

Attachments

• classic_ii.jpg
    classic_ii.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Eagle 186.jpg
    Eagle 186.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 3

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
I'm going to use that size wheel with a 5" bs. on my D60 and everything looks like it will clear with no problem. When you get to a larger diameter wheel, you can go with more backspacing because the wheel is further away from the tierod.

Hope I explained it right,
David

Nice choice by the way, go with the M/T's, very nice wheels.

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
I tried 17x9's with 4.25 BS steel wheels and 37x13.50x17 PitBull Rockers. The lugs on the tires hit the radius arms before full steering lock. I ordered a set of 17x9 with 3.5 BS steel wheels just to get a little of the steering back. It was the least amount of BS they would let me have. If I was using regular 37x12.50 tires with the 4.25 BS, I would have been able to turn a little farther. This is with stock width D44. What tires are you using?

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I used 1.5" and 2" wheel adaptors with my 17" x 9" wheels with 4.5" backspacing. I needed it to clear the TRO conversion on the 77 knuckles