• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Detroit locker question

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
Ive noticed that the driveline going from drive to rev. has some slop, not much but it is noticeable, is this normal for the detroit locker?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Lockers usually have more noticeable slop in them than open diffs. But you may want to check the drive shaft and both the t case and pinion yokes as theses are other common areas for slop to develop.

OP
OP
av bronco

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
the yokes are very tite and the driveline is new and tite, its all in the diff. I figured that it was the slop in the engagment teeth but I wasent sure and with my record I was hoping I dident already break it.

Dan74Bronc

Loc.
Chandler, Az
Yes, the Detroit has quite a bit of slop. Not so noticeable with an automatic but with a standard you learn to take up the slack by letting the clutch out just a bit before you launch from a stop light.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
A detroit has a whole extra layer of slop to add to the total package. There is a little backlash at just about every connecting point. The detroit has a lot that just adds into the total mix. I havn't checked in a long time but I think I have near a quarter turn of the driveshaft between D and R and everything is tight and correct.