• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock Fuse Panel Wiring

brianlowry

Loc.
Louisville, KY
Hey All,
It's been awhile since I've posted. I was lurking, but my 70 project got over my head and made me depressed. So what do depressed people do? Buy another one! I got a 76 about two weeks ago and have spent the past two weeks working on it and driving it! Here's a pic if interested.

Now to the actual reason I posted. I'm replacing the stock fuse panel because it's falling apart. I had one of these 6 position BUSS Atc Fuse panels like the pic below. You run power to the main stud and the fuses get their juice off of it.

But when I'm checking the wiring on the stock panel, I can't find where this panel gets it's power from. The wires going to each fuse position seem to be independently hot.
How can I make this panel I have work, or do I need to go another route?
Thanks
Brian

ransil

Bronco Guru
should be a big yellow wire feeding power to the stock fuse panel

OP
OP
brianlowry

brianlowry

Loc.
Louisville, KY
Edit. I need to clarify that this is the fuse panel that was originally in the glove box. I don't see another fuse panel anywhere in there. maybe that will help. **

I don't have a big yellow wire.
The biggest two wires are a black which feeds the 20a fuse for the flashers and tail lights and a brown which feeds the 20a heater fuse.
Any other thoughts?
Thanks!
Brian

Last edited:

oleguy74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
calif city ca
brake lites fuse have power all the time.if your fuse block only has power when key is on,find one that you can have 0ne or two fuses powered all the time,and the rest power with key on or acc pos on sw.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Fuse #4 and #5 are fed by the black-yellow wire.
Fuse #3 is fed by the blue-red wire coming from the headlight switch. It powers the dome light.
Fuse #1 and #2 are fed by the black-green wire.

OP
OP
brianlowry

brianlowry

Loc.
Louisville, KY
Thanks for all the replies.
So I think what I need to do is get a different type of fuse panel that doesn't require a single power lead to feed all the rest of the fuses since power is coming into the stock panel from multiple sources.
And then I'll use this buss box that i have to run accessories that can have power all the time.
So do I need to look for a stock fuse panel or is there another aftermarket option out there?
Thanks
Brian

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
I rigged a bronco with one of those before. I recommend putting in a relay to that is connected direct to the battery to feed the fuse panel. It should be turned on when the key is switched on.
Run a separate fuse to power the light switch.

Tom