• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Overheating POS

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
Well took it for a test drive today, first thing that happend is the starter motor wouldn't shut off at dennys, after a slight tap on my bitchin Hatachi starter (pos aftermarket junk) I was on my way. went down the 14 and downhill it got up to 210, ok thats kinda normal from what ive read. Now back up hill it started climbing, up two meaduim hills it went to 215, the third it went past 220 and I backed it down then took Searra hwy. back. by now it was noon and about 90+ degrees out, any little grade it went up past 220 then on downhill would go back to 210-215. I never really heard the fan clutch kicking on so I think Im gonna try that fan clutch Don tried. Also when I got home my trans breather was spitting oil out so I zip tied the dipstick to the top and checked where the level was at the bottom of the dipstick,the add mark was about two inches above the pan, this is a lokar dipstick.

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
Do you have a coolant recovery system? What fan are you running now? What radiator cap? Are you running a trans cooler? What did the coolant level look like when you got home?
Tom

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
how fresh is your radiator? anything blocking the airflow into the core?

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
I don't know if your going to like that clutch. makes lots of noise, and feels like it sucks up some power. Though if it what you need to keep it cool, you might not have much of a choice. Other than maybe trying a 180 degree thermostat

OP
OP
av bronco

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
Do you have a coolant recovery system? What fan are you running now? What radiator cap? Are you running a trans cooler? What did the coolant level look like when you got home?
Tom

YesI have a recovery system and it works good.Im running the jag clutch fan 15psi cap,external trans cooler with fan, after it cooled down its right where it was in the recovery tank and rad. is full.

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
Sounds like the same problem Dan had. Fan Clutch couldn't spin the big fan hard enough. I think changing it out is the right thing to do.
Tom

70_Steve

Old Guy
went down the 14 and downhill it got up to 210, ok thats kinda normal from what ive read. Now back up hill it started climbing, up two meaduim hills it went to 215, the third it went past 220 and I backed it down then took Searra hwy. back.
I'm not at all familiar with that road, but it sounds like you were driving at a pretty constant speed. If you're doing more that 30 mph or so, I wouldn't think the fan would have anything to do with the cooling issue. Can you describe the rest of the cooling system? Radiator? Water pump? Tranny cooler mounting location? Current thermostat? Etc???

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
I don't know if your going to like that clutch. makes lots of noise, and feels like it sucks up some power. Though if it what you need to keep it cool, you might not have much of a choice. Other than maybe trying a 180 degree thermostat

If the current t-stat is opening as it should, and it's still running hotter than that, then installing a lower temp t-stat will do absolutely nothing.

jdcone

Loc.
riverside, ca
The first problem, as I see it, is stopping at Denny's. I'd try flushing everything twice. Clean out all the bugs everywhere too. That was a problem in my 01 Dodge diesel. Just some fuzz on the BACKSIDE of the radiator would run the temps to over 220* while towing the trailer. Once I cleaned that crap off it hasn't done it again. Use the Prestone flush stuff too.