• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1970 bronco engine swap, Guidance Please Help

JAVTony

I own a 1970 bronco with a 302 and NP435. I recently bought a rebuilt 302 off an automatic 1984 bronco. I posted before with a similar question but I still don't understand what its going to take to do the install. From what I've read I believe that the the most important thing is going to get the balance of the flywheel correct, I still just don't know exactly what I need to do this. Also, I'm going to install a new centerforce clutch, Since I'm changing engine years do I need a clutch for the 1970 bronco or for the 1984? Please help me get up to speed.

Rockin69er

I have a 302 from an 87 Crown Vic with an NP435. You need a conversion flywheel with the new balance and old ring gear tooth count. I used one from JBG part #11041. The year of the clutch doesn't matter just get one that matches whatever flywheel your using. The stock clutch equalizer bracket attaches to the block on your 70's motor. The new motor will not have that hole. You will need to use the WH bracket # 8197 or make your own. You will also use the old (70's) style throwout bearing. Just FYI I daily drive, rock crawl and hunt with mine and use a LUK clutch from NAPA and just installed my 2nd one after 5 years.

OP
OP
J

JAVTony

Thanks!

Rockin69er,

I was beginning to feel intimidated with the swap. Thanks for you guidance. Can I contact you if I have anymore questions? My email is nmiceman@gmail.com. Thanks again!