• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

400 Bellhousing question

Braddw25

Loc.
Jersey Shore, PA
I have a question for the 400 engine experts here. I have a 170 in my 71 Bronco, and I want more power. I have a 400 motor sitting in my garage that needs rebuilt. I need to know what my options would be for a manual transmission if I decided to put the 400 in my bronco. First question is how can I tell if I have the block with the big block bell housing pattern or the smallblock? Also, if I do have the big block pattern, what are my tranny options? I was thinking of using a ZF 5speed when my plan was to get a 351, but I don't think the ZF will work if my block is the big block bell pattern. Does the back of the big block BH have the same bolt pattern as a small block bell would have? If so, then I should be able to use any manual that would bolt to a small block including the NV4500 and 3550(with proper adaptors of course). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
They make the ZF in 3 bellhousings. Diesel, not applicable to this discussion except to avoid it. the small block (300 I6, 5.0 and 5.8 applications. And the big block ZF.

Do you have any casting numbers on the 400? The small block pattern 400 is fairly rare. My understanding is that it was used only in '73. You should be able to find pictures or drawings showing the pattern of bellhousing bolt holes between big and small block patterns. Usually they will back the info with the bolt spacing between the 2 upper bolts. The big block is easy for me to spot as the bellhousing is a stretched shape and very tall where the small block is more rounded.

Just about all the manual transmission you would consider using are compatable with the big block pattern. You just need the right bellhousing. Most of your transmission options utalize a stock Frod bellhousing. ford was real nice and usually commonized the bellhousing to transmission pattern. NP435, T18/T19 just need a big block belhousing. ZF will need a big block transmission as the bellhousing is not removable. Not sure if the Mazda was offered for a big block.

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
On the big bolt pattern the Top two bell housing bolts are 7 inches apart and on the FMX they are 5and 1/2 inches apart. Just get a ZF that has the bell pattern for the bell pattern for yours, they made them for both the 351 and the 460 so just get the one for yours

OP
OP
B

Braddw25

Loc.
Jersey Shore, PA
Thanks very much for the replies. I was not aware that the ZF was produced with the BB bolt pattern. I guess when you think about though it only makes sense. Does anyone know when the last year Ford used the big block engines so I know what year donor vehicles to look for? Thanks again for the responses.

OX1

Bronco Guru
Only problem I can see is the big blocks that did come with the ZF where external balance. Not sure where the clutch is going to sit with the 400 flywheel which is not ext balance and seems a bunch thinner than the ext balance man flywheel. Might not matter much, but I had to use a 87 alum bellhousing converted to man linkage on my 78 when I swapped in an ext balance 83, 460.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The big block flywheel wouldn't fit a 400 that I know of.
Use a 400 flywheel and clutch, not a big block. No balance issues and it will fit.

mustangtoby

Bronco Guru
Loc.
southwest Colorado
Cool info. I thought all 351M and 400's were big block bolt pattern, same as 385 series engines. Never knew they made a 400 with a small block bolt pattern. Broncobowsher, you are a wealth of knowledge!

OP
OP
B

Braddw25

Loc.
Jersey Shore, PA
THanks once again for all the great info. I checked my 400 today and it is the big block bolt pattern. Not surprising since it came out of a truck, and as far as I know none of the small block bell housings made it into trucks.

So any 400 flywheel/clutch combo will work with the ZF then? THat is certainly good to know. One other question though. If I were to decide to use an NV4500 instead of the ZF, am I going to run into trouble finding a clutch for my 400 that will work with the NV? I assume that the clutches that Wildhorses sells for the smallblock/NV4500 combo will not work in this application. Thanks again. I'm starting to get pretty excited about this build now!!! I just ordered an intake adaptor today so that I can use a 351W lower EFI manifold with my 400.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
You have a body lift? If not, plan on getting one. ;D Or modding the heck out of your firewall. I have a 2" body lift and still had to slightly modify mine. Oh, and welcome to the club. ;)

Last edited:

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Score Board!!!!

Attachments

• P1010028.JPG
    P1010028.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
B

Braddw25

Loc.
Jersey Shore, PA
You have a body lift? If not, plan on getting one. ;D Or modding the heck out of your firewall. I have a 2" body lift and still had to slightly modify mine. Oh, and welcome to the club. ;)

I don't have a body lift currently, but it's on my list of things to do before the engine swap. What modifications did you have to do to your firewall? And, how high do you think the body would have to be lifter in order to avoid this? Thanks for welcoming me to the club. The 400 has been a personal favorite of mine ever since I was 16 and my first truck was a '78 F150 with a 400. She was one hell of a stump puller even choked down with all the smog crap and with the stock 2bbl carb. I can remember being amazed at the power increase I got just from adding headers. That truck got me through high school and college, and when I sold it, it had over 230,000 miles on it and still running strong.

The 400 I currently own has an interesting life story to it as well. Shortly after I graduated from college, I bought a 76 Maverick that I wanted to make a drag racer out of. A friend of mine took this 400 out of his pickup because he thought the were a junk engine like so many others think. I had my Mav sitting there with a tired 302 in and thought why the hell not. The combination of massive torque in a lightweight car was hard to beat. Unfortunately, the Maverick's career ended ubruptly one night when the rear u-joint came apart and the drive shaft punched several big holes in the floor. At least I saved the motor, and now have a much better use for it!

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Look at the link in my signature to see what I did to my firewall. Really, you can get away with a BFH modification just to give clearance for the cylinder head (just ask bmc69 about this method ;D). If you don't want any firewall mods, you will need at least 3" of body lift, I believe. If you have 2", you can get away with just a little modification. There are some other things that you will have to do like cutting your inner fenders (easier access to the plugs as well as some exhaust clearance) and some other minor details.

OP
OP
B

Braddw25

Loc.
Jersey Shore, PA
Score Board!!!!

Bax, I was hoping to hear from you when I asked this question. I've read through your previous posts about your 400 project. That is an awesome rig you have! Forgive my ignorance though, but what were you trying to show in that pic? Is that a recent find of yours, or did you want to donate that block to me? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Bax, I was hoping to hear from you when I asked this question. I've read through your previous posts about your 400 project. That is an awesome rig you have! Forgive my ignorance though, but what were you trying to show in that pic? Is that a recent find of yours, or did you want to donate that block to me? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

He was showing you a small block pattern on a 400. He has a knack for finding them. ;D

OP
OP
B

Braddw25

Loc.
Jersey Shore, PA
Look at the link in my signature to see what I did to my firewall. Really, you can get away with a BFH modification just to give clearance for the cylinder head (just ask bmc69 about this method ;D). If you don't want any firewall mods, you will need at least 3" of body lift, I believe. If you have 2", you can get away with just a little modification. There are some other things that you will have to do like cutting your inner fenders (easier access to the plugs as well as some exhaust clearance) and some other minor details.

Thanks, Devin. That's an awesome build you have going there! I think after seeing it, I will stick with the 2 inch lift and make mods similar to the ones you did. Thanks for sharing, and good luck with your continuing build!

bax

Contributor
Old Member
No chance. I already looked. The block in the picture was sent to fetctaj a member on this site. He wanted one. I think he is building a 434 out of it. I know where another one is but the guy wants too much money for it. He doesn't even know about the small bolt pattern.
As far as clutches go the 400 had some 12 clutch flywheels. They are hard to find but they are out there.

OP
OP
B

Braddw25

Loc.
Jersey Shore, PA
No chance. I already looked. The block in the picture was sent to fetctaj a member on this site. He wanted one. I think he is building a 434 out of it. I know where another one is but the guy wants too much money for it. He doesn't even know about the small bolt pattern.
As far as clutches go the 400 had some 12 clutch flywheels. They are hard to find but they are out there.

I was just kidding about the donation.

Thanks for the info on the clutch.