• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

pumping fuel out top of carb..

shonivey

background.. picked up a 74 that had been sitting for a while(few years i guess) . the fuel was completely varnish.
threw in some B12 chemtool , about 7 gallons of fresh fuel and changed both filters. got it fired , but it's pumping fuel out the top of the carb. carb is a carter , fairly new. I'll get some pics up soon as i can. on the outside edges of the secondary and primary. (venturi's) there are 2 small phillips head screws that hold a small round cap on. there are 2 rectangular openings beside these caps. and fuel is pumping out of these. installed a new fuel pump.
I consider carbs voodoo. never dove into one.
thanks,
shon

OX1

Bronco Guru
background.. picked up a 74 that had been sitting for a while(few years i guess) . the fuel was completely varnish.
threw in some B12 chemtool , about 7 gallons of fresh fuel and changed both filters. got it fired , but it's pumping fuel out the top of the carb. carb is a carter , fairly new. I'll get some pics up soon as i can. on the outside edges of the secondary and primary. (venturi's) there are 2 small phillips head screws that hold a small round cap on. there are 2 rectangular openings beside these caps. and fuel is pumping out of these. installed a new fuel pump.
I consider carbs voodoo. never dove into one.
thanks,
shon

1. Floats in bowl might be stuck, causing needle and seat to be stuck open (have to take carb apart to see)
2. Needle and seat might be stuck on it's own, floats OK (same thing as floats kind of, also have to take carb apart to see)
3. The real "funny" one. Fuel line may be attached to bowl vent. They are not that far from each other, about the same size, and I've done it. :p

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'll second the needle seats either being stuck or dirt/varnish is keeping them open.
There are no bowl vents that I know of on carter carbs that could be mistaken for the fuel inlet.
Most likely your going to have to pull the top of the carb off and clean out the insides and to get to the needle seats. Get a rebuild kit it will have the instructions on how to do it and tune it up afterwards. It should include new needle seats which would be a good idea to change if the carb has been sitting for a few years. Dont be afraid of carbs they are really simple.

OX1

Bronco Guru
I'll second the needle seats either being stuck or dirt/varnish is keeping them open.
There are no bowl vents that I know of on carter carbs that could be mistaken for the fuel inlet.
Most likely your going to have to pull the top of the carb off and clean out the insides and to get to the needle seats. Get a rebuild kit it will have the instructions on how to do it and tune it up afterwards. It should include new needle seats which would be a good idea to change if the carb has been sitting for a few years. Dont be afraid of carbs they are really simple.

Maybe the carters did not have it (I thought my later one's did), but the edelbrocks do. See that hose forward of the fuel line (sorry for the chebbie pic :p)

edelbrock.jpg

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
In many cases the float assy is literally glued to the bottom of the fuel bowls by varnish.

Although a diagram would be usefull for you and you should locate one, do not worry about the difficulty in taking the top off of an AFB..its about as simple as it gets.

OX1

Bronco Guru
In many cases the float assy is literally glued to the bottom of the fuel bowls by varnish.

Although a diagram would be usefull for you and you should locate one, do not worry about the difficulty in taking the top off of an AFB..its about as simple as it gets.

cept for those stupid little clips on the choke and high idle rods :p

OP
OP
shonivey

shonivey

thanks for the info. fuel line goes in the upper left .
The fuel that pumped out looked like strawberry pancake syrup. i pumped quite a bit out on the ground before it started running somewhat clear. then i attached it to the carb.
Looks like the damage was already done. I'll look up some tech or grab a carb book. Honestly i have never had a reason to go into one. I'll check the bowls and float. I've worked on some briggs and strattons. same thing just bigger i would guess.

in the above pic - the fluid is pouring out"running over" from just behind the 2 gold anodized screws at the venturi.
I'll double check in the morning on the inlet and vent .
thanks for all the info.
shon

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Maybe the carters did not have it (I thought my later one's did), but the edelbrocks do. See that hose forward of the fuel line (sorry for the chebbie pic :p)

edelbrock.jpg

I have 2 edelbrocks and neither one has that vent. I 've never seen a carter with one either but I guess that doesnt mean there are none. But that kinda has me interested do you know what model that edelbrock is?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'm pretty sure thats the part number you'll need. Dont have my book handy or I'd look up the kit number for you.

OP
OP
shonivey

shonivey

broncnaz- thanks for the info. i've been to carquest , autozone and advance with no luck. since it's not the stock motorcraft that shows up on the screen they say the can't help. I'll try o'reilly's and a napa.
never thought getting the parts would be the hard part.
thanks,
shon

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
NAPA should be the ticket as I believe carter is owned by Federal Mogul and NAPA sells a lot of there stuff. If they cant get it for you then the parts guys sucks. Even the other parts stores should have been able to get you a kit but you cant tell them its for a bronco. They are to lazy to use the books.
If you knew what CFM rating your carb is I'm pretty positive that the the Edelbrock kits for the same CFM rating will work on the carter after all they are the same exact carb.

OP
OP
shonivey

shonivey

tried a few different searches last night. ordered one online from the carbuerator store. should be able to tear into it next week.
it was quite the argument with a few of them when i tried to explain that the vehicle did not matter as it would show a motorcraft 2 barrel. i give them the part # from the base of the carb and they said they did not have anything.
the best service i got was from o'reilly's and he is e-mailing some company because he found a kit but no price. so he is seeing if they can order one. i already ordered but i will patronize them in the future because of the effort , he actually got a book out to check.
thanks,
shon

OX1

Bronco Guru
tried a few different searches last night. ordered one online from the carbuerator store. should be able to tear into it next week.
it was quite the argument with a few of them when i tried to explain that the vehicle did not matter as it would show a motorcraft 2 barrel. i give them the part # from the base of the carb and they said they did not have anything.
the best service i got was from o'reilly's and he is e-mailing some company because he found a kit but no price. so he is seeing if they can order one. i already ordered but i will patronize them in the future because of the effort , he actually got a book out to check.
thanks,
shon

jegs or summit does not have rebuild kits??

OP
OP
shonivey

shonivey

everything i found from jegs or summit was for the edelbrock. i know the chassis(for lack of a better word) or body of the carb is the same. but i wanted to make sure it would be correct.
I have got into a bad habit of ordering everything online. I should get back in the habit of calling and speaking to someone i guess. I know they have items that are not on the website or catalog.
shon

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
It took two GP Sorenson rebuild kits in order to have all the parts I needed to rebuild my MC2150.

I wouldn't recommend them.

BTW, my carb had the same problem. It turned out that someone had swapped the mixture screws and the angle of the ports and the screws didn't match up.