• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Track bar & steering question..

Johnny

68 Bronco... manual steering... dana 30.... I pulled the Dana 30 out, track bar, trailing arms, springs and all... complete assembly

I also pulled a power steering Dana 44, track bar, trailing arms, 3 inch lift springs and all out of a 72 Bronco... to put in the 68... complete assembly

Got the 44 in the 68 today, and the axle is sitting about 2 inches to the drivers side to much.... which has the steering off..... I put the drop pitman arm on the 68 off the 72 Bronco as well..... But with the tires straight, and the steering wheel centered, the drag link is right at 2 1/2 inches off....

Now, what's got me puzzled is...

1... I know that the Dana 30, and the Dana 44 has the brackets in the exact same place.....

2... I measured the track bars from both, and they are exactly the same length...

3... The dana 30 was centered before I took it out of the 68, as was the Dana 44 in the 72....

So why the hell is there a problem now ??? Has anybody ever had this problem...

As of right now, the only thing that I see to do is to take the track bar back off... center the axle under the truck, then measure to see just how long the track bar needs to be... then cut mine and weld a ?? inch plug in it.... then maybe sleeve it for some added strength... any other Ideals ??

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did you add some more lift at the same time by any chance? That's normally the only thing that would change it. Weight of the truck fully on the ground?Other than some discrepancies in manufacture, those are the only things I can think of right off the bat. And it sounds like way too much to be a production tolerance issue.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can do what you say to the trackbar for sure. I just got an adjustable one though, so as not to have the same issues when I do other mods, like different height springs or a raised trackbar bracket.
I've got a Superlift version (now out of business from what I hear) but I like BC's version with an upper rod end for reduced resistance during suspension cycling.

Paul

OP
OP
Johnny

Johnny

I did lift it 3 inches, but it was the lift that the 72 already had... so I would think that it would already be adjusted for... yes it was on the ground... that's actually how I found the issue.... I was taking a test drive around the house and noticed that I had very little steering to the left......

As of right now, adding to the track bar is the only way I see to correct the problem...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, can't think of anything either. Just have to re-center it based on what you've got to work with.
Good luck.

Paul

moe d

Loc.
chicago, il
you need an adjustable trac bar.. you added a 3 inch lift and that will throw things off.. I had the same issue, but i added the adjustable trac bar and it is all lined up

gearida

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newburgh, IN
Did the Bronco that you took the axle out of have a drop down bracket for the track bar? That may be why the axle was centered in the truck you pulled the 44 out of. But then again if the 3" lift wasn't on the 44 when you started then you added it new you added the reason the track bar needs to be longer.

OP
OP
Johnny

Johnny

The lift, steering, everything was on the 44 that I'm using... I basicly just unbolted the pitman arm, spring retainers, and trailing arms from the 72, then bolted it in the 68...

I just went out and pulled the track bar off, and centered the axle, and it's only 1/2 inch off.... no way near enough to cause my steering problem... I'm at a loss..... surely the steering boxes can not be that different...

I still have the manual steering box on it right now, but I'm going to put the power steering box on it soon...... Hell I even measured the frame to make sure they were the same... yep.. 29 and some change... I just do not understand how it could be fine under the 72, but be so off under the 68...

looking like now, I'm going to have to cut the steering link and shorting it up... but I'm not going to get in a hurry to do that yet, just incase I'm missing something...

track bar center of bolt to center of bolt... 27 3/4 inches
track bar mounts now, cob to cob ..... 28 1/4 inches

Steering link.. knuckle to pitman arm... 41 inches
Steering link.. knuckle to pitman arm, needs to be..... 37 1/2 to 38 inches

How the hell ??

OP
OP
Johnny

Johnny

Yes sir, I sure can.... but it'll have to be late tonight, or tomorrow... I've gotta run out to a buddies farm right now.... probably wont be home til late....

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
Adjustable trac bar cures centering axle to frame. get wheels straight,pull pitman arm, center steering lock to lock, reinstall pitman arm. if keyway doesnt line up, take key out of pitman arm with a hacksaw blade.. I had to do this on mine to get steering right...The key on the arm from the power box isnt the same on the manual box...

OP
OP
Johnny

Johnny

The key on the arm from the power box isnt the same on the manual box...

It isn't ?? huh, figured it would be the same.... doesn't really matter though, I think I might try an switch them tomorrow anyway....

I do think I figured out why the steering link is to long... I've got the pitman arm pointing to the rear of the truck.... and I looked at a picture of the truck the 44 came out of and the pitman arm is pointing to the front..... why it is I don't know... but I'm going to turn it around tomorrow, and I think that should do it..

Thanks for the suggestions though... I'll report back to say if that fixed it or not...

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
If the arm on the one it came out of was pointing foward it had a later style steering box (78-79 fullsize) and turning it around on yours wont work. it will steer backwards!!!

OP
OP
Johnny

Johnny

You know.... It just might be a fullsized steering box.... It did come off of bmc69's old mx racer... and knowing him, anything is possible.... so I'd say your probably right...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The manual box pitman arm points slightly to the driver's side a few degrees, so if you've got it pointed straight back, that could be why your draglink is too long.
Wouldn't explain the axle position, but would sure explain the too-long draglink.

Paul

OP
OP
Johnny

Johnny

If the arm on the one it came out of was pointing foward it had a later style steering box (78-79 fullsize) and turning it around on yours wont work. it will steer backwards!!!

Boy you weren't kidding.... I turned it around today, and used it to back my car trailer in the garage... and all I can say is WOW... but it'll have to stay that way a few days until I gather a couple parts to do the swap over...