• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bad Clutch Fork/Bell Housing? Help

thnjc2001

So my son got sick today and I had to leave work. On my way home I noticed my clutch was going all the way to the floor before it would engage and let me shift. Once I got home and checked on the boy I crawled underneath to check out the problem. About 500 miles a go I replaced the clutch. First time I have ever done it, and last time, what a pain. Anyhow I thought maybe I just need to adjust the rod. When I removed the spring and rod, the damn fork fell out. Just fell out. I stuck my hand in the hole of the bell housing and found that one of the clips on the throwout bearing snapped off. I thought well, that's the problem with my clutch. But when I inspected the fork, I saw that on the inside of the fork there is a tab that is hooked through a clip on the fork. Is that tab suppose to be on the inside of the bell housing? I don't think the fork is only held in place by pressure and the tabs on the throwout bearing, is it? Gonna need to drop the tranny again (so much for not doing that again) but I don't know if I need a new bell housing. 72, 302, 3spd on the column. Sorry for the long winded explanation, first post HELP! I'll post a pic of the fork later.

Hoppy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gresham, OR
there are 2 types
a wire bail
and a ball?
I cant find any good picks on line

the bell housing and clutch forks don't interchange with each other.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
If I remember right there is a clip on the fork that attatches to the bell housing. It's the pivot point. Then the T/O bearing clips on to the end of the fork. Yes it's all gonna have to come out again./

OP
OP
T

thnjc2001

Gote 'em ordered

Thanks guys, I ordered a bellhousing from Tom's, cheaper than I expected.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Shouldnt need a new bellhousing. Sounds like the tab on the clutch fork wasnt inserted into the pivot point bracket. At most you should only need a new throwout bearing.

OP
OP
T

thnjc2001

Where are you? I've got a bellhousing sitting in my garage that, I bet, would have been cheaper than Toms!!!

oops, just learned a huge lesson. Should've asked around first eh!?:eek:

Looking to do a power steering upgrade, any of that laying around your garage?

OP
OP
T

thnjc2001

Shouldnt need a new bellhousing. Sounds like the tab on the clutch fork wasnt inserted into the pivot point bracket. At most you should only need a new throwout bearing.

The tab is broken....not sure of the tab is sold separately?

mustangtoby

Bronco Guru
Loc.
southwest Colorado
If the tab in the bellhousing is broken, it is a pretty common problem. The parts houses used to carry a kit just to repair this. I haven't seen on in years, though. The tab is rivited from the factory, and the rivits come loose. I used bolts and welded the nuts on the inside of mine so this wouldn't come loose, and have done this a number of times over the years on many Ford bellhousings.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Looking to do a power steering upgrade, any of that laying around your garage?

I have a power steering setup for sale. Shoot me a PM if you are interested. You don't have the private messaging function turned on in your profile. Click on my user name and then click on send private message.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Not sure on availibility of the tab. kinda late now but you might find it at the mustang parts venders. I've also had the bolts or rivets break on me. Try shifting into second with all your linkage laying in the snow at 11 at night. I was able to repair mine without removing the tranny just had to modify one of the bolts I used because it wouldnt clear the tranny. during the next clutch replacement I put in a un modified bolt.