• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Is this a good setup for my E.B.

RH

I found a 5.0 out of a 1990 lincoln, w/AOD tranny, complete from tranny to serp. belt and accessories, all injection components, factory wiring, and computer.
Is this the right injection setup to put on a bronco?
What are the pros and cons of this particular setup?

Thanks in advance
Ray

t.lay

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grayslake, IL
IIRC lincolns have a speed density set up. If that's the case, you can swap it for a mass air set up by changing the wiring harness (either for a mustang harness or tweak yours) and a mass air computer. Mass air is more tunable according to common wisdom - then again megasquirt controllers are based more on speed density set ups and they're plenty tunable. Do a search and you can find a ton of info on conversions and tuning. There's also fordfuelinjection.com for more info.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Pros, it is an economy tuned package. You have everything and it should run in the Bronco just like it did in the car. Spare parts (ECM, etc.) are easier to find as they are not sought after like the HO stuff.
Cons, it isn't as powerful as the HO setup. It doesn't accept modifications like the mass air systems do. The wiring isn't the most common (mustang HO) used but it is still very close. Reworking the harness is nearly the same as doing a stock mustang.

Depending on your desires for a swap, that is a completely acceptable donor.

What I can't say is how well the front accessory package will fit in the Bronco. I am not sure if that is the single serpentine reverse roatation belt drive or the double serpentine standard rotation. The only modern one I like is the '96-'01 Explorer accessory drive package.

OP
OP
R

RH

Ive been looking for the explorer setup, ( havent found one Yet.) I came accross this lincoln and wondered if it was about the same. thought I would ask you guys before going to look at it. its about 50 miles away around 100k miles on it. He wants $500.00 is it worth going to look at or should I keep searching? The car has been T-boned.

86caprirs

Loc.
Chestermere, Alberta
You can change the cam on a speed density controlled 5.0L.I did it and had no issues. You just below the 114 lobe seperation or you run into low vacuum which causes the driveabillity issues.

OP
OP
R

RH

When you changed your cam, what specs did you go to? did you get the results that you expected? Also I was wondering if youve had a gauge on it since you installed the cam, and what kind of vacuum are you pulling? Sorry for so many questions but the only injected motors that Ive played with are diesels.

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
What model lincoln is it? The Mark VIIs came with HO motors still speed density in 1990, but good motors. The engine is the same as Mustangs but the wire harness is much more complex, you could always use a RJM harness and switch to MAF easily..

86caprirs

Loc.
Chestermere, Alberta
I went with a Comp Cam XE270HR. It was good vacuum and had great power. I actually was running a 5.8L in my 1986 Mercury Capri with that cam, FRPP GT 40x heads, 1.7 RR and a cobra intake with a Lightning lower intake and 24lb injectors with adjustable fuel ragulator on the stock 86 Mustang SD computer. It was fast and powerfull with no driveabillity issues. If I have a aftermarket tuner like a Tweecer..... I could have got a little more power out of it.

OP
OP
R

RH

SCSM76 - Its not a Mark VII, Im pretty sure that its a towncar.

86caprirs - Thanks for the information. Im still undecided about it, I think that I will probably run over there and take a look at it, maybe see if the accesorys will fit with out to much modification.

86caprirs

Loc.
Chestermere, Alberta
Just remember, a 5.0L in a Lincoln,mustang,crown vic ect are all the same....The Lincoln harness will be almost the same as a mustang and if you do more serious upgrades....you can swap to mass air pretty cheap.