• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

track bar bushing removal....help!

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I went and bought the 14 piece bushing kit for my front Dana 44. The track bar is by far the worst out of everything, so I was going to replace those first. The bar came right out with a little persuation. Now I cannot get the bushings to budge at all. I have tried beating them out with a punch, but no such luck. I was thinking burn them out, but I don't have a torch or anything. Any thoughts guys?

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
there's probably an outer sleve like in the leaf spring bushings. punch and patience, air chisel, find a torch, or a press.

metalman0521

No sleeve, just tough to remove rubber. I had the same problem and took my torch to the bushing and it came out quickly.

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
I went to lowes and got a propane torch, worked good but make sure you got some ventalation, smells like a NHRA event.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Drill countless holes through the rubber helps.
Hacksaw blade comes to mind.
Look for a steel sleeve inside the bar after you dig through enough rubber. Hack the sleeve will release the tension then it is easier to bear the sleeve out. (I hope I am remember the right bushing with the steel sleeve in there)

OP
OP
greatguy57078

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I started a nice fire in my burn barrel. It didn't take long and I knocked the bushings right out. I rinsed the track bar off and it was right down to clean bare steel. I threw a nice shiny coat of POR15 on and its ready to have the bushings installed (after it dries!).;D

Oh, I never noticed any steel sleeve on the OD of the bushing...

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
I took a razor knife and cut as much of the rubber off the edges as I could then got the largest drill bit that would fit inbetween the outer wall of the bar and the inner sleeve of the bushing. Clamped the bar in the vise and started drilling. About 4 or 5 holes later and a little WD 40 and I was able to push them out without much effort. Let the drill do the work for you.