• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 Pan Sealing

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
I've had it with straightening C4 pans and buying cork gaskets that fail after a year or two! :mad:
I know RTV is a no-no, but what about the Right Stuff sealant?
Anyone gone down this road with success?
I've heard some folks on Pirate talking about Mopar ATF safe RTV available at the Chrysler dealer, but I have a feeling that the "do it all" Right Stuff is going to be a real similar product. I've used Right Stuff on the pesky oil pan dipstick retainer with success (drilled out original rivets holding it on, tapped for bolts, and used the Right Stuff as my gasket for the retainer to the pan). I had to pull my oil pan maybe a year or so later and no signs of breaking down of the Right Stuff. :)
Whatcha think? Right Stuff my C4 pan? I don't want to go down the B&M cast pan route if I don't have to yet.

OP
OP
72_EB

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
I was looking at the BTE. Does that retain the stock dipstick tube? Any monkeywork when dealing with the tube? I've heard a few folks complain about the stock tube with the B&M cast pan.

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
It comes with its own filter. It looks like the car filter.

I had to cut about 1/2" out and reweld my tube to get it to fit with my headers. The tube is held on with a bracket that is very weakly spot welded in three areas. After touching it too much I guess, mine broke off and I rewelded the bracket onto the tube. I ahve Duff headers but would imagine most would require that mod.

I am looking for the picture of the cross section I had to take out. I think all the pans have the adapter piece that made this inevitable.

Found it!
attachment.php

Just as close to the header as it was before the pan.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
No extension then.
The B&M comes with a pickup extension and a new filter to get the pickup lower into the new pan to get the coolest fluid and aid in even fluid flow. It may also come into play if your vehicle is at an extreme angle.

I only had to bend my tube because of my headers also. If I had the manifolds, I believe there would have been no need to bend it.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
No extension then.
The B&M comes with a pickup extension and a new filter to get the pickup lower into the new pan to get the coolest fluid and aid in even fluid flow. It may also come into play if your vehicle is at an extreme angle.

I only had to bend my tube because of my headers also. If I had the manifolds, I believe there would have been no need to bend it.

Mark,
I'd use the bronco filter on the valve body and make a longer pickup tube. Then attach a C5 4x4 filter to the end of the tube. Then make a bracket to attach the C5 filter to the tube. The C5 filter is more like a real filter and less like a screen.

Here's what the C5 filter looks like. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983...emQQimsxZ20090506?IMSfp=TL0905061210008r23838

Phil

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
What is the NO NO on using RTV on sealing the Tranny Pan?

Trans fluid desolves regular silicone then it gets stuck in the governor and valve body passages, plugs lube holes, stuff like that.