• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help with Engine ID

Braddw25

Loc.
Jersey Shore, PA
I think this engine in my garage is a 400 as I mentioned before, but I would like some independent verification if possible. Does this look like a 351M/400 block to you guys? Thanks!

Attachments

• P7310031.jpg
    P7310031.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 10
  • P7310032.jpg
    P7310032.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 10

bax

Contributor
Old Member
It is a 351M or a 400. the only way to tell is check the stroke. If the motor turns pull a spark plug and rotate that cylinder all the way down. Take a thin / stiff wire and put it down into the cylinder until it hits the piston. make a mark on the wire. then rotate the piston to TDC and put the wire back. make a mark on the wire measure the distance between the marks. 4'' or 3.5''? 4'' is your 400. Crude but it works.

OP
OP
B

Braddw25

Loc.
Jersey Shore, PA
It is a 351M or a 400. the only way to tell is check the stroke. If the motor turns pull a spark plug and rotate that cylinder all the way down. Take a thin / stiff wire and put it down into the cylinder until it hits the piston. make a mark on the wire. then rotate the piston to TDC and put the wire back. make a mark on the wire measure the distance between the marks. 4'' or 3.5''? 4'' is your 400. Crude but it works.

It still turns. Stroke is 4". All is right in Bradd's universe now. Thanks for the suggestion, Bax!