• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ford 7 Blade VS an Aftermarket Flex Fan, what do you think?

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Hi,

I've got an after market flex blade fan installed currently and I want to install a 7 blade Ford fan.

What size spacer will the Ford 7 Blade fan require?

Will the Ford 7 Blade fan pull forward at high RPM?

What is the desired space between the fan and radiator?

Is the Ford fan really better than a flex fan?

Thanks again guys!

Chris
taipeichris13@yahoo.com

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I like the 7 balde fan, I've tried a couple different ones and went back to the 7 blade. I have mine about 1.25 inches from the radiator and so far no problems.

bludorbronc

I like my fixed blade fan,It is installed so it just misses the crank pulley and is half in and half out of the fan shroud.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Another vote for a fixed fan. They're louder but they move more air at idle.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
ford 7 blade had a 3/4" spacer from the factory, but general rule says minimum 1" between the fan and core.

RV77

Loc.
Springfield,IL
I recently changed mine to the 7 blade fixed fan.The PO had a 14" flex and a aux.electric fan on because of "overheating" problems.They also put a Aluminum radiator in.

It didnt have a shroud on it either.I removed the aux. and flex fan....put the shroud and fan from my '77 on and at idle it runs no hotter than 198.Before I did this,it would run 210 at idle and higher when just puttin around the neighborhood.

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
Don't buy the cheap flex, I got the next grade up and have no problems at all, moves alot of air.

OP
OP
taipeichris

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the imput guys!
I'm going to be doing alot of little to big projects this weekend on the Bronco and the fan is one of those on the very long to do list. The flex fan currently does well but I will install the Ford one.
Ben, thanks for the info on the correct factory spacer. I'll have to measure and see what I've got.

Chris
taipeichris13@yahoo.com

ctowery

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wellington Nevada
FYI flex fans for you "younger" guys were designed for drag racing way back when..they flatten out at higher RPM's to reduce HP required to turn them..perfect for drag Car's but lousy for any other purpose. Best cooling air flow possible is with a 7 blade fixed fan.

Elect work great ..turning them off when crossing water, but none will move air like a 7 blade.

Cary

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
Flex-a-lite Black magic fan.

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/black-magic.html

Has a thermostat to turn on / off and a manual switch so you can turn it off during water crossings to prevent radiator damage and engine drowning. Plus a built in shroud so your engine stays nice and cool.

>>>>> I run that fan , it won't even come close to fitting without the explorer setup or chopping up the core support......this fan does way better at idle speeds or putting along in hot heavy traffic than my stock setup while drawing only about 14 amps or so....... back when everything was stockish & more than up to snuff it just didn't like idling or going slow in super hot weather..... generally electric fans that fit in the stock confines of the early bronco won't work in all conditions if any & the stock alternator probably only put out about 20 amps at idle...............

Attachments

• 100_0413.JPG
    100_0413.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 41

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
I tried a flex a lite 17 flex fan,did NOT work in the dez. went to a clutch fan setup, ended all cooling problems.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I run a 18" flex fan in the desert with no problems. They may have been desinged for racing but they work quite well drawing more air at idle than most fans and drawing less at RPM's when vehicle speed makes up for the loss in flex pretty much the same concept as the fan clutches just simpler.
Even most stock type fans without fan clutches are flex fans(at least in the 70's) they just usually dont flex as much as the aftermarket ones.

Bad thing abot old fans especailly the flex type is they can come apart at RPM's my stock fan came apart thats why I have a aftermarket flex fan and a aftermarket radator. I would inspect the fan you intend on installing very carefully if its old. look very close at the areas where the blades are mounted to the hub.

mr.ee's

if you plan on making any water crossings, i've read on this site the water can put your flex fan into your radiator.

i'm planning on going to a fixed fan when i change to a 2-groove crank pulley.