• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

When I shift into 3rd..

madcrzydrmr

Searched around for a bit and haven't seen anything regarding this issue.

It sounds like a ball going around a roulette table and stays that way. Noise seems to get a little louder when step on gas or let off gas. It also maintains the noise when you take it out of 3rd and leave in neutral as I brake to a stop. Shifts smooth as butter and 1st/2nd gear no noise. I bought the Bronco a couple of weeks ago and the noise is just started appearing. I plan on draining the trans fluid and replacing this weekend, but was wondering if it could be something else/worse? Thanks in advance.

Daniel

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I'd say it's a bearing, either input or output. 3rd gear is straight through, input shaft locked to output shaft, so you have the fewest parts transmitting power.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Similar sound to when my main output bearing let go in the stock 3spd transmission too. Mine only rattled for a few minutes right after the event and then went quiet no matter what gear I was in. Even with that though, I only drove it for another week or so until I pulled the trans out and found the lunched bearing. Replace it and all the others for about $40 and change and was good as gold for the next 15 or so years until I sold it.
I'm sure prices have gone up from there, but it's a pretty easy fix, as things go, and can be an interesting experience to say the least.
Hopefully it's something less dramatic, but from your description I'd agree that it's a bearing. If it was just "ticking" rather than a roulette ball, it would likely be something else.
Can you get down there with a stethescope (or a screwdriver and your ear) and verify the exact location of the sound?

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cool. Bitch to replace?

Yeah.
Certainly do'able by a shadetree mechanic, but it's still kind of a pain to get all that stuff down and out to a place you can work on it.
Hmm, wonder if it's time for a 4 or 5 speed replacement?
Have fun!

Paul

OP
OP
madcrzydrmr

madcrzydrmr

Can you get down there with a stethescope (or a screwdriver and your ear) and verify the exact location of the sound?

Paul

Maybe if I had the lady drive and I hang below. lol. The noise only comes about when shifting in third. After Thinking about it now, I believe it starts after a mile or so (warms up?) It seems that I can feel it to on the shift lever as well when putting into neutral while slowing down. Once stopped, no more noise until I get it back into 3rd.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Uh, forget what I said then. No hanging under while driving allowed! Unless you're doing an episode of Mythbusters or that high-speed photography slowing things down and stuff show.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Like Viperwold said, when in third you're direct drive, so all the bearings are turning at the same speed. Hard to diagnose from here, but if it's a bearing, then it's time for them all to be changed.
What kind of mileage on the rig? Receipts for oil changes, including the lubes in the gear boxes?

As a good practice, you should ALWAYS change differential and tranny fluids when buying a used vehicle. Unless you have receipts showing it's been done.
Until recent years, and maybe even still, most people figured that those were "lubed-for-life" components. I've heard and seen it too many times, so it's just a good practice.
Not that this would have helped with your issue, but good to remember. And you still have two differentials and a transfer case that could be waiting for some TLC.

Paul

OP
OP
madcrzydrmr

madcrzydrmr

Like Viperwold said, when in third you're direct drive, so all the bearings are turning at the same speed. Hard to diagnose from here, but if it's a bearing, then it's time for them all to be changed.
What kind of mileage on the rig? Receipts for oil changes, including the lubes in the gear boxes?

As a good practice, you should ALWAYS change differential and tranny fluids when buying a used vehicle. Unless you have receipts showing it's been done.
Until recent years, and maybe even still, most people figured that those were "lubed-for-life" components. I've heard and seen it too many times, so it's just a good practice.
Not that this would have helped with your issue, but good to remember. And you still have two differentials and a transfer case that could be waiting for some TLC.

Paul

I haven't seen much of an up-to-date receipt, but figured as much since the PO tore the whole bronco apart and redid motor and clutch and cleaned/painted everthing himself. My plan was/is to get the fluids changed ASAP. just waiting til the first of the month. I do see some gear oil that looks like it could be coming from the drain plug but also looks like it could be coming from the top? Not a lot (don't really see any drips on floor). Thanks for the responses!