• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Vibration at speed.

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
The Bronco has seemed to be vibrating worse than normal lately at higher speeds. It always had a bit of a vibration but seems to have grown. I checked the engine/tranny mounts all tight. I am running 33" tires and I do know at least one of them have thrown their stick on weights. Do you guys believe this is mostly tire? and how do I get these balanced, every tire shop pretty much tells me thay cant really balanc larger than a 31" tire very well.
What other options? Isnt there some type of balancer you put in the tire or somthing? Thanks

phred

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I've not had any trouble with having 33's balanced. A good tire shop should be able to balance a 33. All 5 of mine were speed balanced and have about 4 oz of wt total. If you cant find anyone to speed balance them see in any of them have an old style bubble balance. balance the tire and split the weight difference on the inside and outside of the wheel. If it takes a lot of weight, more that 6 oz total break the tire off the bead and spin it 180 around the wheel and try again.
Another thought. Are you sure it is a tire? Could it be driveline. A bad dbl cardan joint will vibrate pretty bad.

22213evl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rio Rancho N.M.
I've not had any trouble with having 33's balanced. A good tire shop should be able to balance a 33. All 5 of mine were speed balanced and have about 4 oz of wt total. If you cant find anyone to speed balance them see in any of them have an old style bubble balance. balance the tire and split the weight difference on the inside and outside of the wheel. If it takes a lot of weight, more that 6 oz total break the tire off the bead and spin it 180 around the wheel and try again.
Another thought. Are you sure it is a tire? Could it be driveline. A bad dbl cardan joint will vibrate pretty bad.

thats what I was thinking a bad ujoint will give you vib at speed and if its getting worse might be time to check em

jpopsbronco

Loc.
Irvine, CA
dyna beads also work, its what truckers use but it has worked wonders on my 37's ... they arent perfect though if your looking for new car smooth, these probably wont do the trick.. Pops

OP
OP
Ohio Bronco 21

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
Well thanks for the suggestions. I rebuilt my drive shafts last summer and they have been fine since. I am pretty sure the vibrations in the tires and my crappy superlift shocks dont help. I am going to check into having the wheels balanced by the machine mentioned in those threads above.

1970mule

Bronco Guru
hey i got super crap too,and i hate them sooooooooooo much, but look to see if your bushing are loose on your track bar, that can cause death wobble, and do u feel it mostly in the back or front
?

OP
OP
Ohio Bronco 21

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
The vibrations are about even around the truck. Yeah, The supercrap shocks (lol) I bought when I was first getting into the whole Bronco thing. I bet they are about 70% of my problems.

75junebug

Loc.
NW Houston Tx
I had trouble keeping the 35" BFG MT's balanced as well. It seemed as though every time I got back from Colorado or Moab I had the same issues. Try looking at the rear strap bolts on the rear driveshaft, if they are over tightened, they will waller out the trunions in a very short time. It doesn't take too much torque to get them right, only about 15 psi. When I installed my new 35" BFG KM's, I used dyna beads. I have about 6000 miles on them so far and are great!! I find myself going way faster than I should be going, especially with the EFI swap just completed